Please help, Movies playback problem with parallel desktop 7 on macbook pro 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howareyoukk, Mar 2, 2014.

1. howareyoukk, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

howareyoukk macrumors regular

I installed parallel dekstop 7 and a copy of windows 7 on my macbook pro 15 mid 2012. However, every time I want to watch movies on win7, it has really bad screen tearing at the most action pack scene in the movies. Screen tearing as you will see horizontal streaks on the monitor. I am sure the problems are not from the illegal copy of parallel desktop and windows7, because my housemate has exactly same version of parallel desktop and windows on his retina 13 inch and the movie playback experience is so nice, no screen tearing etc. just nice. I have done everything I could to try to solve the problems:

-I tried to reinstall the mac system (my mac shipped with lion 10.7.5) and the windows copy on parallel desktop

- I tried to change every little settings they have on the parallel desktop 7(ram, cpu, video memory etc)

-I searched on google and tried to find if someone out there has the same problem as i do(apparently everyone has great experience with their parallel desktop).

-The closest step for me to get rid of the screen tearing was to upgrade to mavericks. To be surprised, it worked. But it created another problem-there were green horizontal line at the top and bottom of the movie. (so if you consider the movie is a square box, the top and bottom length were marked with green horizontal lines).

I have tried everything for the last few days and I just can not find any solutions to my problem. Please, if anyone out here how to solve my issues it will be much appreciated .

P.S. One of my friend kept talking about its the hardware problem on my mac. HOW? i have the 2.7Ghz high end cpu and gt650m as my graphic card. My friend had a 13 inch retina without any dedicated graphic card and the movies playback on the parallel desktop is as smooth as hell...

Oh, i almost forgot to mention that my friend's mac is running on mountain lion and mine runs on lion. Can it be the problem?

Thank you all in advanced. :) I am so tired of trying to fix the parallel desktop for the past few days. :(

----------

oh almost forgot to mention that my macbook pro has 8gb ram. Both of mine and my housemate's laptop are playing the same movie with the same video software....

----------

And the reason why I concern about the movie experience is because I am a film student and I need to watch movies all the time. The reason I don't want to watch movies on mac is because the software I have has really slow download speed and it will take me ages to download one movie. However, the video software on windows can achieve maximum downloading speed. ALMOST FORGOT to mention that I did try with other video playback software and I am still getting screen tearing (horizontal streaks) :(

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not sure I understand why you go through a virtual machine to watch a movie?

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A few items you might want to provide. What software are you using to download and show movies on each platform? Apps that push the video hard can have issues in a virtual machine.

I download movies and videos all the time and never have a problem. Sounds like you have something else going on. I would address the Mac issues first and get it running well.

4. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

its not about just a movie. its something wrong with my laptop and it causes problem while watching movies(including all video files)

5. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply:)
    The software is called qvod. It is basically a software where you can watch movies while downloading them. It is a chinese software. However, I have installed the same software on my friend's macbook pro 13 inch retina display(same illegal parallel desktop 7 copy, same windows copy and same video playback software) and they all work fine on his laptop.

At last, i solved the screen tearing issue by upgrade to parallel desktop 9. But then it created another problem Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 12.23.59 PM.png

There are two green horizontal lines at the top and bottom of the movies (same with vlc software) :(

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Virtual Machines are really not designed to do what your asking for... What I can't understand here is why you don't just transfer your downloads from your virtual machine to your Mac's drive and watch them with VLC on Mac OS X.

But, if you are dead set on using Windows for playback your probably better off installing Windows via Bootcamp and running things that way...

Green lines are a recurring issue with VLC on Windows: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101562

7. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply and the link :)

Maybe I am demanding too much from the virtual machine. But video playback becomes very common for a system and what making me even more frustrated is that the video playback works ok on my friend's macbook pro 13 inch retina display...and his laptop only has a HD4000 graphic card....

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm curious, are you in Asia? If so have you tried something like qq video?

9. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

lol..qq video.
    i am from asian but not currently in asia. qq video is useless. qvod is the way to go.

10. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

This will be my second last update:

I basically give up on trying watching videos on parallel desktop now because it will always have issues no matter how i tried. So far I encountered two major issues.

-First issue presents on lion & mountain lion with pd7:
    when you watch videos on it, it will always have screen tearing no matter with whatever settings. I tried to change every settings and it just wont work.

-Second issue presents on mountain lion & mavericks with pd9:
    -I can tell pd9 is better than pd7 since I can fix the screen tearing problem on video playback. However, it created another problem which is the two horizontal green lines at the top and bottom of the movie screen( The image of this issue is attached with the last reply).

I thought both pd7 and pd9 have problems since they are the hack versions. However pd7 works on my friend's 13 inch retina macbook ( havent treid pd9 but i think it will work as well) and the movie playback on his macbook is nice , no screen tearing and just nice. The reason for that is maybe his macbook pro does not have a dedicated graphic card and parallel desktop reads his integrated graphic card perfectly. In order to verify my theory, I downloaded VMware fusion and imported the windows copy into it. it turns out it has the same screen tearing problem as it presented under lion & mountain lion with pd7. No green horizontal lines found.

In short, i gave up on trying to fix the video playback problem because I think the current virtual machines (VM and PD) has poor graphical support towards macbook pro 15 inch with dedicated graphic card. PD9 seems to fix the screen tearing issues but it will present another "green horizontal lines" issue.

Now I just need to do some tests on my friend's macbook pro 15 inch (non retina, with mountain lion) and see if the outcome will be the same.

Same outcome: not my macbook's problem
    different outcome: my macbook's problem

Anyway, I will try to update one more post and tell you guys what happen afterwards.

If you guys even watch movies on my macbook pro 15 or 13 on virtual machine, please tell me what it looks like. Thanks:)