Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I hope someone here can help me. My current setup is a 27 inch 2009 Imac, Apple Extreme Bas station (latest model), 64GB ipad, and 2 ATV2s connected via wireless N. The problem I am having is that no matter what I do, the apple tvs do not wake up the imac. One user suggested that I should make the apple extreme the host server and even when I do that, I cannot get the apple tvs to wake up the imac. The weirdest thing is that if I open the remote app on my ipad, I am able to wake up the imac with no problems. The ipad is connected to the same wireless network as the ATVs so this really has me stumped. I have tried:

-Disabling the firewall on the imac
-Resetting the router back to default settings
-Uninstalling itunes and then reinstalling
-Disabling home sharing and then restarting it
-Restarting the computer

None of these steps have resolved the problem. The apple tvs stream perfectly fine but if I can't figure this our, I will just configure the imac to only sleep at night. It would be cool to actually use the wake on demand feature and considering that I am only using apple hardware, I don't know what the problem is. The Imac is connected to the router via ethernet so that should not be a problem either. Thanks to anyone who can help!

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Mine works great using my time capsule. Make sure your iMacs first preferred network is the one you use. I deleted every other known wifi besides my primary. Also, my iMac is set to sleep at 2 a.m. everynight, and then wake up at 8 a.m. it wakes up, and I set it so itunes launches upon startup, so my airplay network is ready for me every morning without me touching anything;)

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
I have the same set up generally, but I do not have this problem. Make sure you have "Wake for network access" checked in Energy Saver System Preference.

The solution I used with my old appleTV's under an older system was just to not let my computer sleep ever. Under the Energy Saver System Preference you can set your iMac to never go to sleep, but have the display go to sleep and the hard drives sleep when possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.