please help my blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Udinpetot, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Udinpetot macrumors member

ok guys
    i got 2 question..., please guys, i need your help...
    i just got my macbook black yesterday coz i got tired waiting for mpb :S, btw im a new mac user :) so be easy on me please?
    so.., heres the problem...
    how do i make 3 partition? (1 for mac, 1 for windows, and one for DATA which i want to access both from windows and mac...)
    ive been trying to play around..., but when i tried i went to disk utility and make 2nd partition, the progress is sorta stopped at modifyin partitin etc etc, so i had to force quit..

2nd problem which makes me dissapointed, after all that mess, i just downloaded the graphic update for 10.5.2, (whats the upgrade about?), and when it ask to restart, i did, AND I CANNOT GET BACK INTO MAC
    it says no bootable device found, please insert boot disk and press anykey
    wtf, i couldnt do anything

please help meeeeee :(

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You will need to use either your Software Restore or Software Install disc, and start the computer holding the 'c' key. Once there, use disc utility (in a menu) to repartition the HD. I don't believe that you need a "data" drive as Boot Camp allows access to the other system's drive from within Windows or OSX. If you do still want it, remember that your data drive can only be in FAT32 (MS-DOS format is what OSX calls it) because data stored on NTFS drives is read only from OSX. Also, repartitioning will clear all data on the HD, so after you're done partitioning and formatting, you will need to continue through the install process to reinstall OS X and other software.

Does that answer your questions?

TEG

3. dwc macrumors newbie

[QUOTE ok guys
    i got 2 question..., please guys, i need your help...
    i just got my macbook black yesterday coz i got tired waiting for mpb :S, btw im a new mac user :) so be easy on me please?
    so.., heres the problem...
    how do i make 3 partition? (1 for mac, 1 for windows, and one for DATA which i want to access both from windows and mac...)
    ive been trying to play around..., but when i tried i went to disk utility and make 2nd partition, the progress is sorta stopped at modifyin partitin etc etc, so i had to force quit..

2nd problem which makes me dissapointed, after all that mess, i just downloaded the graphic update for 10.5.2, (whats the upgrade about?), and when it ask to restart, i did, AND I CANNOT GET BACK INTO MAC
    it says no bootable device found, please insert boot disk and press anykey
    wtf, i couldnt do anything

Sounds like when you were in disk utility trying to partition you HD & then you force quit is probably the 'beginning of your problem.'
    Not to worry!
    These guys on forums are great & very helpful.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427768
    Link to reinstall OS X & probably not a bad ideal to remove some of the bloat on you macbook.
    I let one of the other guys explain the partitioning as I can't find the link to it.

I told you these guys were good, follow what TEG posted.

I told you these guys were good, follow what 'TEG' posted

4. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

nice..., so the c key work..
    but how did all this happen, was it because i resize my mac HD and play around with it?, and 2ndly..
    yeha i know bootcamp can access my windows files even tho its read only.., but i couldnt access the rest of my hard disk :(
    if you can pm me you msn so we cud chat.., thatd be great :)

5. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

and btw..., What the hell happened?
    i need to install mac osx again?
    all my data gone?
    no notification?
    it was perfect before i reestarted :S

6. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

errr ok, false alarm.., i just need to go to through some intro, then it had an option to choose which drive to boot...
    but how did this happen?, thats still a question for me.. :(
    what if i was overseas?, do i have to bring the startup disk everywhere i go?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I don't have MSN on my work computer, my AIM works on my gmail.

The reason for the problem was that you tried to change the bootup harddrive while running from it. When you repartition a hard drive using normal tools (not the boot-camp or 3rd party software) it destroys all the information on the HD. As a result you will have to reinstall everything.

TEG

8. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

hehehhe so ok.. thx for that..
    so now.., are you 110% sure that you can access mac hard drive from windows?, coz i didnt see em before my xp got deleted lol

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you do the three partitions (with the third in FAT32) yes. If not, you just need to find a utility that allows access to HFS+ disks, like Macdrive.

TEG

10. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

hahahha, ok.., that helps alot man...
    but.., sigh
    these porblems keep coming :S
    so i was installing xp...
    and at one point, it needed to restart.., so it did..
    but it couldnt continue???
    instead i had to press c again, and go back to the start of the instalation, with the hard disk space reduce by 1 gig :S
    plis plis help :(

11. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

and 1 more thing, is there anyway i can eject the disc before booting to leopard or windowS?

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I know nothing about using BootCamp as my computer is a PowerBook G4 667 (DVI) and can barely run Win2K in VPC.

To eject a CD at startup, hold down either the mouse button or trackpad button.

TEG

13. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

gee...., you helped me to no end..
    thx alot friend.... :), guess i can sleep now lol