Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iminimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
My friend uses windows and owns a ipod mini. He recently got a virus and lost all his music on his windows (but has it all on his ipod). i searched the forums and because this is the same computer he usually updates from we didnt know if it would automatically update a blank libary.

is there a way to get his music off his ipod and onto itunes
please help

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
When it comes to Macs, there is a program called iPod Rip which allows you to copy songs from iPod to iTunes. Try looking for program similar to this one on version tracker.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This is one thing that is almost actually easier on Windows. Simply enable viewing of hidden files (can't remember how to off the top of my head, but it's pretty easy). Then drag them onto the PC's hard drive. Of course, before you do this, don't let iTunes sync with the iPod. It'll ask if it can, select no.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I was in the same situation about a month ago... and I found this at versiontracker.com. It's a program called iPod->Folder. Here's the link. The only problem with this program is that you get weird file names, like NX90 or something.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.