Please help my identify which Mac this is. *see pics*

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jun 25, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Please help me identify which model quicksilver this is from these pictures. He told me that it has a 40 gig hard drive and the back of the machine says model #8493. Near as I can figure out from google that just designates it as a quicksilver but nothing else.

I think I have a good deal here, I'm about to buy a quicksilver from the guy for $75. Even for the low end quicksilver $75 is a good deal, yes? But it's a bit of a trip for me to pic this up so I want to see if it's worth my time.

Is there any way to tell from these pix which model it is? Can we see if there are dual CPUs? Any other identifying items here?

Attached Files:

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The heatsink sorta looks like it might be a dual processor machine (its been a while since I owned one), in which case I think $75 is a steal!

$75 for a working G4 tower aint bad if you are in the market for one.

there looks like a missing PCI card...one of the slats is missing but no card. and i think its missing the 56k modem as well, i think that went on the beige connector in front of the PCI slots.

Could he not get more stats from the system profiler?

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

or check near the serial number

it should say

GHZ/GB etc

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I found these pics in the thread linked here. The person in this totally unrelated thread shows a single CPU machine with a double sized heat sink. So I'm guessing that the same big heat sink is there regardless of single or dual cpu.

And you're right, a PCI card is missing from one of the slots. I need to know which one it was. If it was just the 56k modem I don't care at all. But it could be something much more important.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=324419

EDIT: removed the confusing unrelated mhz info.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

the modem used the smaller beige connecter by the PCI slots, but not a slot itself.

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Good, thanks, every piece of the puzzle helps. So I wonder what was in that now-empty PCI slot? I need to know if it's missing something important.

Airport - is there an airport card in there?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We (I) have it narrowed down to two models. It's either the first QuickSilver or the QuickSilver 2002ED.

Can't he turn it on and give us the model number?

AirPort was optional at this point, but you can put an original AirPort card in there.

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

He's at work right now and won't be back to the computer till this evening. Plus I'm not sure how much I trust his knowledge or honesty, he's just a random guy selling his mac, so I don't want to rely too much on the info he's gonna determine for me before I go out there. So I'd like to figure out as much as I can about this Mac before I go all the way there to check it out in person.

This is such an old machine that I wouldn't want to put too much money into it. As it is I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna use it for, I'm mainly thinking about buying it because it sounds like a very good deal afaik, and I can always find something useful for an old-but-not-very-old mac to do.

9. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

Looks like a single 733 to me, the 56k modem is there - its the raised card at the end of the PCI area.

looks like a 32mb Nvidia Geforce 2mx agp graphics card

It has no Airport card and is missing the PRAM battery so you'll have to set the clock each time if you unplug it.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Then save yourself the trip and forget about it.

Cheers,
    :):apple:

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The dual 867 only came with the MDD powermacs, of which this isn't. If he says 867, then it has to be this model

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_qs.html

Edit: It isn't missing anything, BTW
    "*In the default configuration, this model has four open 33 MHz 64-bit PCI slots, and a 4X AGP slot occupied by the graphics card. It also has an open AirPort (802.11b) expansion slot."

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Is there not a sticker under the power socket on the back?

13. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Sorry, I was being confusing. What I meant is that the person in that totally unrelated thread I linked to showed a picture with a single CPU but that had the seemingly double sized heat sink anyway. The point I was trying to make with that link was just that it suggests that the size of the heat sink is not evidence that the model pictured in my original post is double or single CPU'ed.

Ha, I'm not sure if my explanation cleared up what I meant! :confused: ;)

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My home Mac happens to be a Quicksilver '01 that originally had an 867MHz processor. It's been heavily upgraded, but still runs quite well under the yoke of Leopard. I'm very sad to hear that it would only garner $75 (well, maybe $200 because of all the upgrades), but it IS really old.

FYI, the heat sink is not indicative of single/dual CPUs.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since you said it was 867mhz it would be a 2001 quicksilver.

So either 128 or 137GB HD limit I do not remember which. FW 400, USB 1, GeForce 2, Gig Ethernet

I did a lot of pricing on G4's on ebay in march. The most a sub-1Ghz G4 with a base configuration went for was around $70 and that is with a known reputable seller.

Whatever the PCI card was it is not important for the G4's function it would just add some funtionality. Maybe it was SATA, IDE, USB 2.0 or a wireless card.

If the guy is within 10 miles of you I would pay $65 tops further than that I would subtract $0.50 per mile beyond 10 miles and make an offer based on that. I suggest this because I would calculate the value of my time and gas as opposed to ordering through ebay and getting the G4 delivered.

By the way a Dual 800mhz, no RAM, HD or Optical went for about $130 on ebay. A Dual 867mhz MDD completely decked out 2GB RAM etc went from $250-$300

16. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Sorry, my earlier post was completely misworded. I don't have any info on the mhz speed of the machine I'm considering buying. That 867 mhz number is completely unrelated to the machine that we're talking about.

Really? I haven't checked ebay, I was looking at other places to get a sense of what these machines sell for these days. If what you say is true then I definitely don't want to buy this machine. I'll go do some ebay spelunking now to see what price range I see for these generation machines.

EDIT:

Maybe I'm not searching eBay correctly, but I'm not seeing any quicksilvers for below $100 (after shipping price is added in) at the very cheapest. Are you sure you saw the prices you're quoting from completed auction final sale prices?

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/item...pleQ5fDesktopsQQ_sacatZ111418QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZ15

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes I forgot about shipping which should be about $35 for most US states. But I did track about 50 auctions of various G4 towers Quicksilver, Mirror Drive Door, and Firewire 800 models. As well as used Quicksilver CPU modules. I was considering modifying a QS dual 800mhz CPU module into my sisters 466mhz Digital Audio G4 and wanted to compare the cost against other much faster G4's, I included MDD and FW800's for the costs of RAM and HD controller upgrades. In the end I ended up building a more modern PC H**kintosh for her:cool:.

Anyways Stock 733 QS's look to be less than $50 currently given that some listed with a starting price of $50 have zero bids. Probably $45

An 800mhz model should be about $10-15 given the value of the CPU card from them which translates well into full unit price differences.

An 867 would probably be $35 more because of Leopard minimums.

For a Dual CPU the value doubles from the single processor models of the same speed. A dual 800 with stock everything would be about $180 as opposed to a gutted one at $135. The Dual 1Ghz is the holy grail of the QS's and run $300 but at that range I would go for a Mirror Drive Door because of the faster and cheaper memory.

That is why I said $65 assuming an 867mhz within 10miles, then deduct $0.50 for each mile thereafter. You have to factor in the value of your time, 1 hour minimum. Then the cost of fuel to go there and back plus the ATM. With time and gas at 10miles you are risking at least $20-25 if you have an average MPG car and average pay job on a machine you may end up not wanting. While the risk on your money is greatly reduced by buying through an ebay seller with a good reputation.

Assuming that you buy through ebay the 867 would run about $100 shipped that you can feel fairly assured would run. While this other at $65 and 10 miles would end up costing you $85-90 with very little assurance it will run properly. So if you bought at the asking of $75 you would really be spending about $100 with little assurance of a good computer and losing that hour that could have been used for fun or an hour of overtime.

On the searches I go through the categories then select specifics like Powermac and G4 in the left hand pane. Then I type in 733 or 800 or whatever speed I am looking for and sort by time remaining. Any model at or over 1Ghz I just type Ghz or Dual since most over 1Ghz are Dual CPU. Other search variants 733mhz, 800mhz, 1ghz etc...

2001 QS's
    733/867/2x800 MHz

2002 QS
    800/933 MHz (rare)/2x1 GHz

MDD
    2x867 MHz/2x1.0 GHz/2x1.25 GHz

FW800
    1.0/2x1.25/2x1.42 GHz