Please help: My mac is acting really silly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tyoo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tyoo macrumors newbie

Hey.

Whenever I am on the internet I have trouble going from site to site because whenever I move my mouse everything gets highlighted. Sometimes when I go down the page, the scroller automatically goes down without me even clicking it. Also, when I try to go back to the previous page and click on the left arrow to go back, it like double clicks almost every time.

I have to keep double clicking and all to get out of the highlighted text, scroller etc. I can't take this anymore.

Please help if you have any clue as to why it's doing this. May be a simple thing I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    have you spilled any liquid on the trackpad ever?

3. tyoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I'm aware of....no

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Can you borrow another mouse to try? The starting point is to test if the mouse is the culprit, as opposed to the Mac and its software.

5. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

If you're using a trackpad... you or someone else may have enabled an option in your System Preferences (depending on your computer) that clicks when you just tap on the trackpad (without clicking the actual button).

In 10.6 here's how you get to it. Go to System Preferences. Click the icon that says Trackpad (in older versions of OS X it might be under Mouse). Look for a checkbox that says Clicking (and underneath Dragging and Drag Lock). If Clicking is checked, uncheck it. If it's unchecked, it's not the problem.

If this isn't the problem...

What kind of Mac do you have and when did you buy it? If it was under a year ago, your mouse or trackpad is still covered by AppleCare (warranty). I would suggest just taking it into an Apple Store if you have one around.

6. tyoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Unchecked :( ... I have the regular 12 inch macbook and ive had it since 2 christmas' ago

7. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Are you using the mouse or the trackpad?

Have you been able to use another mouse to check and see if thats the problem?

8. tyoo thread starter macrumors newbie

trackpad.... UGHH this is really bothering me. I found a mouse in my house but there's no plug-in for it :/

9. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

PS/2 mouse eh? Your best bet is to find a usb mouse and try it out. My guess is some how the track pad is malfunctioning.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Try a USB mouse, to see if the trackpad is the problem.