Please help!, My mac wont boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sheppard52, Jan 21, 2008.

1. sheppard52 macrumors newbie

Hi there, Im new here so dont take the pee if somthing is wrong lol. here goes, Its long mind.
    Basicly I had my mac in my room working fine no problems.
    I had to move it downstairs because my friend was borrowing my windows. Basicly I cant boot my mac. When I press the power button it turns on, makes the tone and thats it. The monitor doesnt turn on, stays o standby, thats all it does. The only way around it is to take the battery out and press the small reset button on the motherboard. That is the only way I can turn my mac on. I have reset all the PRAM etc etc, but nothing seems to work. I cant see what the problem is. Ive never had this problem before, ive had 3 different monitors on this mac and its been fine. I have tried the monitor on other computers and it works fine, so i dont think the monitor is damaged. But like I said every time i want to use my mac I have to open it up, take the battery out press the button THEN i can use it! I am pulling my hair out with this. I done a fresh install of OS X to make sure OS X wasnt the problem and i still get the same problem. Just its fine if I keep my computer on 24/7 but I dont want to , mainly because its in the same room as my dogs, the fans will drive them nuts.
    I bought a new graphics card a while back which was fine. but when i got the problem i out the original back in and nothing. check all the RAM and nothing. So i am completely stuck now! I would be very very grateful if anyone could help me. I have made no modifications to it, just the new graphics card thats all.
    This is the mac I have,
    G4 AGP..well another question, when I installed OS X it said it was a AGP model, but I downloaded the user manuals from apple website, and from looking at the manuals and matching everything I seem to have the Gigabyte ethernet model. This is really confusing for me. I want to get upgrades but I dont have a clue what model it is. AGP or Gigabyte ethernet.

Thanks again!

James.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you replaced the battery on it? This happen to me a while back on my Quicksilver. As for your other question check the model number on the motherboard that will tell you what model you have.... You might have to google the part number

3. sheppard52 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi there,
    yep, i check the battery, removed it, left it for a hour, checked the voltage and its fine, it still holds a full charge.

James

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Hmm. I have a very similar problem to yours except mine won't boot at all. It does the same as your with the light and the fan, but then it just dies.

Mine is definitely not the battery as I replaced it.

Anyway, your problem.

I believe you can tell if it's an AGP by looking at the video card. If there's a tab at the end of the edge connector, kinda like a right-angled thing that fits into a slot, then it's an AGP. That's what mine is too.

You said that the battery holds a charge. How long did you test it for? It sounds to me like it's *not* holding a charge for long enough.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers.

5. sheppard52 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh its really annoying me because i thoughti would leave it for a few hours so i turned it on knowing it wasnt going to load properly, left it running for a few hours to see if it would sort itself, but nothing.
    not holding a charge. but if i had left it out of the computer itf it wasnt holding a charge the voltage would go down untill nothing..? mine holds the voltage fine, well it seemed tome it did, i left it out of the computer on the side for a hour or so, and it seems to me to keep its charge, no voltage drop.

Ok thanks for the advice about the AGP socket, i think mine is a AGP from what you are saying.

James