Please HELP! My MBP won't boot...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enochpeng, Feb 13, 2010.

1. enochpeng macrumors regular

Hi guys

My MBP with a 60GB SSD won't boot into MacOS since this morning. I got a message saying my startup disk is full and i need to delete files to make more room. The question is that how can i delete files without booting into MacOS? I tried putting in the Leopard Disk but without knowing a thing in Terminal, Im hopeless now...

Any tips would be much appreciated !

2. chopper dave macrumors regular

Easiest thing will be to find another mac and connect the two with a firewire cable. Hold t while booting your mac and it will turn it into an external hard drive, then use the 2nd mac to clear up space. Search "target disk mode" for more help.

If you don't have that other mac, you'll probably have to learn a few terminal commands to clear out enough files to boot- sorry. Start with directory navigation (cd, ls) and use rm to delete files and directories.

Anyone know of a live linux distro that will work on a MBP? That would make things easier too.

3. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

will a ethernet cable do the job? cuz i dont have a firewire in hand....

or will USB work?

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

First try it in "Safe Mode" (different than "Single User Mode").
    Start the computer - When you hear the start-up sound, hold down the SHIFT KEY for a few seconds. This will load the GUI OSX with minimal services. It may work for you, give it a shot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661 (Target Disc Mode)

5. Surely Guest

Surely

You can also do it wirelessly if both machines are in the same wifi network and Sharing (File Sharing) is allowed on both machines.