Please help networking setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andresphabian, Feb 10, 2011.

1. andresphabian, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

andresphabian macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I know i'm a noob and this might be a stupid question. but i hope you can help me out here as i've looked online for an answer and can't seem to find one. I need help setting up my apartment. I had it al figured out where i used to live, now me and my wife moved and have no idea how to set up everything so it's back in sync.

Basically i need to connect my AirportEXtreme to an existing Non-Mac wireless network

Here's what i have to work with:

- Wireless Modem/Router ADSL2 with multiple Ethernet outports.
    - Airport Extreme
    - Apple TV (the old one)

Here's what i need it to connect to:
    -Imac
    -2 Macbooks
    -Iphone
    -Xbox

Now because of the way my house's phone jacks are configured i can't physically get a modem behind the TV, or even behind the computer (IMAC).

So what i want is to be able to have both my xbox and my apple TV connected to the Internet (via Ethernet) . I need my Apple TV to Sync with my Imac, and I need to have a wireless connection for both laptops and the Iphone.

My XBOX has no wireless connection jack so it needs an Ethernet Connection.

I've read that perhaps i set up a wireless network using my wireless modem, but not sure if the AirportExtreme can "Tap into it wirelessly" then expand it through their Ethernet output jacks???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andre

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You need an Apple wireless product on both ends, so you still need one Airport Extreme or an Express. Since it reads like you need ethernet ports away from where your modem sits, that's where the Extreme goes.

I think you can use an Express at the location where you modem is to "create the network" which your Extreme will "join" but if I'm wrong and/or you need ports there, too, you'll need to get another Extreme.

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

I think you can set up the Airport Extreme to join an existing network. You also have to put it in bridge mode. Then you can connect your XBox to the Airport Extreme by cable. All the other devices can connect wireless or by a cable.

Just try it out and let us know!

4. andresphabian thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Thanks for the replys

I spent all weekend trying to get the airport extreme to join an existing network and got no luck. It will only let you join an existing WDS created by another apple device.

Looks like i'll have to forkout the $$ for another Airport Extreme. or maybe even a apple Express to do the trick. Either way, the wife won't be happy with me spending more dollars on my Mac habit.

Please if anyone knows any way around this, gimme a yell.

Thanks
    Andre

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Check the refurb store or craigslist, latter should get you what you need on the cheap.