PLEASE HELP, NEW HD not installing os x!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jhonnybravo32, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jhonnybravo32 macrumors newbie

So my macbook's internal HD died. I have gotten a new one and put it into my macbook. I turn on my computer and put in OS X disc 1 and the installation begins. When it finishes it says put in disc 2, I did that. Then it installs and it says "Software contains errors" Please retry.. How hard can getting a new HD up and running be??? PLZ HELP..

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

When you say that you put in the OS X disc and then the second disk, what do you mean?

I suspect you're trying to reinstall your OS from the System Restore discs that came with your Mac rather than an OS X DVD. Is that correct?

If so, the restore discs may be looking for something specific on your drive and since it's a new drive, it's not there.

Do you have a copy of Leopard or Tiger?

4. jhonnybravo32 thread starter macrumors newbie

by format do you mean partition? If not then I may not be doing it right. Yes it is the os x install discs that came with the computer. I do not have tiger or leopord. Is there a step by step process?

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Put you cd in your machine. Reboot holding down the 'C' key to make it boot off the cd drive. Then go to disk utility and chose your drive from the left hand side. Then click erase and chose your volume format. After you format the drive you should be able to install your OS.

You can read here for more details
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2063795_format-hard-drive-mac-os.html

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You need to make sure that the partition type is GUID for Intel Macs when formatting it (click Options).