Please Help New imac acting up.... :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gunner86, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Gunner86 macrumors member

So i bought a 21.5" Imac about 3 weeks ago and in the past 4-5 days ive been getting random crashes, example: i was playing a game of modern combat and the screen went blue and within 1-2 seconds i was back on my desktop as if my system had rebooted but there is no way it rebooted because it only took a few seconds, i am new to macs so if anyone could help i would really appreciate it. It also seems like ive gotten a couple weird random beeps coming from my imac.....

Thanks

Kris

Edit: Forgot to tell you that it also happend to my girlfriend when the computer was sleeping she woke it up and the same thing happend when she did.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Have you been in touch with AppleCare, you have 90 days of free coverage so it's smart to use it. Not sure where you're located but you can either find the number in your manual or http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

3. Gunner86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help but i would rather try to troubleshoot a litle before i call them and have them tell me i need to send it in, i tried running the apple hardware test (Quick and extended test) and both found nothing, i did upgrade the memory since i got it to 12gb, i was wondering if maybe i had them in the wrong slots??? Here is how i placed them:

Stock 2gb Stock 2gb
    New 4GB New 4GB

Would this be the proper way in a mac in order to get dual channel?

Thanks

Kris

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Have you removed all the non-Apple RAM? If the problem goes away after removing the non-factory RAM, then it's your RAM probably - and you will need to call whoever warrants the RAM. If it doesn't go away, then it's probably another HW issue - for which you will need to take it in anyway. At which point you should call AppleCare, as rkaufmann87 suggests.

Good Luck