Please help...new iPhone user.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FearedPhantom, Jul 23, 2011.

1. FearedPhantom macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'm Ryan. I'm new to the boards! I just bought an iPhone 4 a couple days ago, and two weeks prior, I also purchased an iPad 2. Now my question is, is there any possible way of transferring my music on my iTunes, from my iPad to my iPhone? I do not currently own a computer, and that's why I purchased an iPad 2. I feel it would be funny to buy songs on my iPhone now, when there all on my iPad 2!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

2. 184550 Guest

I know that you can transfer photos/ videos with the camera connection kit from an iPhone 4 to an iPad. However, you might need to poke around the Jailbreak community to transfer music via that method.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If your iPhone is on 4.3.3 or above, you can redownload music bought from Apple directly through the iTunes app. Open it on your phone & click on Purchased. Everything you've ever bought in iTunes on the iPad or other devices should be available there for you to download to the new device.

If your phone is a Verizon phone on 4.2.8 or 4.2.9, this isn't an option for you right now. Hopefully it will be when iOS 5 comes out this fall.

5. FearedPhantom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Mines a 4.2.8. Just thought I'd be able to use Bluetooth on both devices, or possibly finding a computer, and uploading my iPad itunes onto it, and then connecting my phone into the computer. But neither of those options would work?

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's difficult to dump music from iDevices to an iTunes computer library.

Just go to Purchased under the iTunes library on the phone. It should be tied to your account!

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

He can't--that function isn't present in firmware older than 4.3.3 if I recall correctly. Apple's incentive to make us all upgrade--except that Verizon users CAN'T get to that version.

But you're right they don't make it at all easy to do it any other way. In theory, it can be done. In practice, someone WAY better with iTunes than I am would have to walk the OP through the process of activating the computer to work with the user's iTunes account, syncing music down from iTunes onto the computer, syncing that to the phone (without it erasing everything else that's on the device), then deactivating that random borrowed computer.

Something like Sharepod (or PhoneView, which I use on the Mac), will back it all up and allow you to move it in some cases with certain firmware versions, but it all still requires a computer. There's no way to do just between iOS devices over BT or wifi, unfortunately.

8. FearedPhantom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your help. I was just confused when I walked out of Verizon, they told me I would be able to transfer my iTunes from my iPad to my iPhone (easily.) lol. Doesn't sound so simple.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you're routinely syncing to the same computer the way the majority of users do, they're right. Your situation, as you've outlined it to us, isn't that way. Again, the functionality you want is built into iOS 5, so in a few weeks when that's released, this should be pretty easy.

And under the "unsolicited advice" column--since you're going computerless, you might want to be selective about the apps you routinely use. In your case, it might be best to take the time to search out apps with built in cloud backup functions to services like Dropbox, and sync mechanisms between devices. Phones and iPads do break or get lost or are stolen, and right now, you don't have any way to get that data back if that happens.

I don't use the built in "Notes" app, for example, because the sync on that has never worked consistenly for me. Instead, I use an app on both my ipad and iphone that can sync with either MobileMe or Dropbox (your choice) to provide both a backup and keep content current on both devices. I use MobileMe to sync my iCal and Contacts as well, and my To Do list app has an auto sync function through a web server. I have a photo transfer app that will move images from one device to the other via wifi, and I store the really important ones on a Photobucket account.

It's not as seamless as using iTunes for backups, but then again I've lost data and images by just depending on those!

10. FearedPhantom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help! I'm really glad I joined this board! Great people here!