Please help! (noob)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jazzyglenn, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Jazzyglenn macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm an idiot.

I wanted to refresh my MacBook pro.

Spoke to a friend and didn't listen properly.
    Two days went by and I decided to follow the instructions he gave me

Instead of formatting my harddrive to remove everything off it and still have a working mac I...

Reinstalled osx lion (already have it as my os)
    When it booted realised my files were still there
    Then I formatted my harddrive
    And attempted to reinstall lion (god knows why :(...)
    It failed
    Tried the same thing again
    It failed, it got to 48 minutes remaining and switched to 5 hour and 47 remaining.
    I left it for 6 hours with no movement or change.

So I thought I'd install snow leopard os, and redownload lion from th app store, apparently my harddrive didn't like snow leopard anymore and wouldn't let me install to my harddrive with a weird error message.

So I finally come to my senses and restore my time machine backup
    100% successfully, computer restarts... Two hours later I'm still at the apple loading screen... I know this is a ridiculously long post, and I know I'm ridiculously stupid, please anyone, HELP?!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

First of all, no need to call yourself an idiot for making an honest mistake or even a series of increasingly severe honest mistakes. It sounds like you are about 3 attempted OS installs removed from a working machine. At any point, did you ever make yourself a Lion recovery USB stick? If so you can install Lion from scratch on your freshly formatted Macintosh HD and then "migrate" from your Time Machine backup. Even if you never made yourself a Lion recovery USB stick, if your Lion recovery partition is still there, hold ctrl during boot, boot from it, go to disk utility and format Macintosh HD then install Lion and sit through internet recovery if necessary and finally once again "migrate" from your recent Time Machine backup.

3. Jazzyglenn, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

Jazzyglenn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey. Thanks for your reply, I've just woken up an intend to follow your advice. I hadn't made a copy of lion because I always thought if anything goes wrong, downloading from the app store should be no prob right? Wrong.

Thanks for your reply, I can't believe nearly a 1000 views with one reply.... Weird.

Thanks again.

EDIT

So I option keyed into the mac osx download screen on startup, sat my macbook next to my router and with in an hour it had downloaded, installed and is now running perfectly, thanks r0k!