Please Help! (not enough free space to download)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markeya414, Nov 12, 2008.

1. markeya414 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased me a Macbook. I don't have too much on the computer and for some reason it's telling me that I need to free some space on my hard drive in order to download. When I went into the apple icon on the left hand corner and under disk utility, it says that I have plenty of space available to download. Why is my computer telling me that I don't have enough free space? I even deleted some of the documents that I had on my computer to see if that was the problem. Please help!!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

What are you trying to download?

Edit: Have you tried restarting your computer and then trying again?

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Where did you get this message? On a website or a system alert?

If you open a finder window your free space will be displayed on the bar at the bottom. What does that say?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unrelated, but in the future try to be a bit more specific in the thread title. Helps everyone to know whether or not they may have an answer. :)

5. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to download my resume.

6. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

7. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try restarting and trying it again. It won't let me download anything!

8. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a system alert.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Hmm. Open Disk Utility, select the hard drive (not the volume), choose the "Partition" tab, and click anywhere on the partition map. Post a screenshot of the result. (Cmd-Shift-3 for full screen, Cmd-Shift-4 for a selectable area). It'll look similar to the shot below.

Not doubting you, but sumpin' ain't right. It doesn't sound like a permissions related issue. We'll move to further steps after that.

Attached Files:

10. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Screenshot

I can not do a screenshot. I even tried to save it in textedit to attach it and it's telling me that it can not save. :mad:

11. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't even open up a regular attachment from an email. It says that I have 49.5 GB (53,202,411,520 Bytes) available. This is getting frustrating!!!:confused:

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First, reset the NVRAM. Check to see if that helps. If not, then repair permissions (though I don't believe that to be the issue). Let us know how it turns out.

13. markeya414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Neither one of them worked, I still can't download. I also noticed that I can't turn my firevault off. Every time I go to turn my computer off it tells me my home folder is using more space then required. Then it gives me the option to fix it before I shut down my computer.

When I go to shut my firevault off and enter all my passwords it says error occurred. An error occurred during decryption (an error occurred during copying). Firevault will be turned on for this home folder and the home folder will still be encrypted.

Do you think this relates to my problem of not being able to save or download anything?

I really appreciate the help too!!

14. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If all else fails, backup and reinstall the OS.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant