Please help! Not sure what does this error message mean

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applelicious, Jan 21, 2010.

1. applelicious macrumors member

Hello guys

I canceled by mobile.me account and now I am getting this message when I open my mail...

Enter password for account "smtp.me.com:xxx"

SMPT server "smpt.me.com" rejected the password for user "xxx"

I try to put my mobile.me password, but that does not seem to work

I am fairly new to Mac OS and cant seem to figure out what is going on

Thank you
    applelicious

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

You won't have access to your MobileMe email account after you cancel your MobileMe subscription. Same as the rest of the features.

3. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean that I cant use mac email? Because right now when I try to send an email from my inbox, this message comes up asking for password.

In other words, do I have to subscibe to mobile.me in order to use email

Rgds,
    applelicious

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

If you want to use your .mac/mobile me email yes you have to pay for it. You can setup the Mail app to use Gmail though if you don't wish to pay for mobileme

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Your ISP should have provided you with at least one email account as well.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

lol,

Yes. Once you cancelled mobile me, you lose access to all of the features of mobileme including email.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

1) Go to mail.gmail.com in any browser. When it prompts you to log in, it also offers the ability to create an account. Create an account. Use any name you like. If you don't mind google peering into your personal life to find ways to advertise to you, go ahead and use the account. Otherwise, simply remember the username and password for the account you just created.

2) go to Mail and delete the mobileme smtp server entry. Create a new entry for gmail and make it smtp.gmail.com. Tell it to use password authentication and use the username and password from the gmail account you created in step 1. For each email account you have set up in Mail, pick the gmail smtp and pick "use only this account".

There is a feature in Mail to test your connections. It's called connection doctor. It should show you the status of every pop, imap and smtp connection you have set up in Mail.

Wanna hear something really stupid? Even if you have a valid mobile me account, you cannot "send mail as" another email you own using Apple's servers. So this advice goes for people who cancelled mobile me and it is still valid for those of use who use mobile me but don't want our me.com email address to be the "from" address when we send email. Be sure to complain to Apple about this. We are paying handsomely for me.com and we should be able to use me.com smtp to send email using any "from" address we choose as long as we authenticate to prove who we are when doing so.

8. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot guys for your advices. This really helps me out. I don't really need mac email. I just want to get rid of that annoying message that comes up even when I am not opening mail icon. Just browsing safari and it pops up...

how do I delete mobileme smtp server entry? I looked in mail and cant find it

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When you open up mail, go to Preferences and then to the accounts tab, and then delete the "me.com" email account listing. When you do this, you may lose all the messages as well, not sure. Alternatively, you may be able to right click on the account in the inbox sidebar and check "keep offline" or something like that. (not at my Mac at the moment...)

10. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much!