Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjones521

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Can someone please give me a step-by-step guide on how to sync my notes to my macbook air?? Please!!!!

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Go into one of your notes and change something.

Sometimes, when one of mine hasn't synced, that is what I do. Just forces it through, I guess.

The other thing it could be if that doesn't work: I had a few Notes on my i4 that I created before iCloud. Those have never shown up on my 2011 MBA.

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
Check the iPhone Notes app for an "Accounts" button in the top left corner. Your current notes may be local to your iPhone. As far as I know, the only way to move them to iCloud is by copying the contents from each note and creating new notes, one at a time, under the iCloud account in the app.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Check the iPhone Notes app for an "Accounts" button in the top left corner. Your current notes may be local to your iPhone. As far as I know, the only way to move them to iCloud is by copying the contents from each note and creating new notes, one at a time, under the iCloud account in the app.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure this out. Your solution definitely works, it is kind dumb there's no easy way to copy this sorta stuff over. It's really interesting how user-friendly Apple makes so much of it's stuff and then with a lot of things involving iTunes, the whole user-friendly approach just goes out the window.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
make sure notes is selected in iCloud as On

I've clicked the check box at least a dozen times to enable iCloud notes, then click merge. The stupid system immediately unchecks it as soon as I close system prefs. This is pissing me off. How do I FORCE ML to do what I, the customer, want?

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010

yes, i second this...

i'm a big notes user on my iphone, and i've been having the same issue... many of my notes are on the 'on my iphone' account... not on the icloud account. so yes, the only notes from your iphone/other device that will show up on others or on ML notes is if it is from the icloud account. (i'll continue to assume this until someone corrects my assumption).

this just goes to show that despite all this insightful innovation that is supposed to be intuitive, we still always slip though the cracks and become the 'exception'.

oh well, i guess i'll get busy copying over my notes to the icloud account!

----------

yes, i second this...

i'm a big notes user on my iphone, and i've been having the same issue... many of my notes are on the 'on my iphone' account... not on the icloud account. so yes, the only notes from your iphone/other device that will show up on others or on ML notes is if it is from the icloud account. (i'll continue to assume this until someone corrects my assumption).

this just goes to show that despite all this insightful innovation that is supposed to be intuitive, we still always slip though the cracks and become the 'exception'.

oh well, i guess i'll get busy copying over my notes to the icloud account!

another assumption... once you've turned on notes in the icloud preferences on your iphone, all new notes will be available on other devices (assuming you're viewing/enabling all accounts). does that seem right?

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
so yes, the only notes from your iphone/other device that will show up on others or on ML notes is if it is from the icloud account. (i'll continue to assume this until someone corrects my assumption).

Correct.

another assumption... once you've turned on notes in the icloud preferences on your iphone, all new notes will be available on other devices (assuming you're viewing/enabling all accounts). does that seem right?

After copying all local notes to the iCloud account, and deleting the local ones afterwards, the "Accounts" button disappeared. Meaning that all notes (current and future) should be in iCloud, and on every device with iCloud enabled.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Also remember you apparently have to use an @me.com email address for Notes to sync since it uses IMAP and not iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.