Please help: Options re switching iCloud Photos back on?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cassady, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hoping someone can help.

Upgraded to the monthly 200GB iCloud package. After weeks of uploading, finally finished getting everything from my Mac Mini and MBP Photo library, into the cloud. Ditto my iPad Pro and iPhone.

Since my MBP and Mac Mini had two separate libraries, both are now in the cloud - all 140gb of them.

IIRC, think my Mini was designated as the primary/canonical/master library. Not sure if that is important, given my question below... But if it is, will check.

My Mini library pulled all down from the cloud, that was either on my iPad/iPhone/MBP, and - as far as I can tell - did a good job at not duplicating. It's quite a bit bigger than my MBP Photos library, but not quite 140gb - since it didn't pull down what was already in the Mac Mini library.

So. All synced, and working.

Then I did something stooopid. For reasons involving me trying to diagnose the black hole that was eating up my monthly data package, I switched off iCloud Photo on my Mini, thinking I could simply flip the switch on again.

A day or two later, when I did, up flashed a message telling me I need more iCloud storage.

It obviously did a cursory check, and saw that my Mini Photos library, was way bigger than the 39gb space I have available in the cloud - and went no further. Put differently, it's obviously treating this as a new library, and doesn't realize that what is in my Mini library, does NOT need to go back up into the cloud - and conversely - all that needs to come down, are the new photos from the cloud...

Do I have any options? Can a T-M backup even help in this situation? Or am I borked, and have to wipe the Mini library, and pull down all the photos out of the cloud, from afresh??

2. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady