Please help, performance issues on my 13" MBA Ultimate!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ArchRivalNeo, May 10, 2011.

1. ArchRivalNeo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So the response from Chrome has become less snappy as time has passed. I have had to restart my Mac after it froze (have Youtube to blame too) twice, and I lost important data the second time I had to force reboot. I regularly have at least 20 tabs open I keep it that way for as much time as I can. Don't know if that makes any difference.

I used to have a Picasa web slideshow open all the time as well (either paused or playing), but I noticed after I closed it the frequency of lag decreased a bit. Now when I notice the lag is when I move my cursor after it staying at the same place for some time, or when i try to scroll down or up a page. The lag is short, a 10th of a second or so, but it seems to have effected my whole system. The system response to a keystroke or any action seems hesitant now.

I even tried running Onyx to clean my Mac, but it seems to have done not much. I have also tried closing unnecessary tabs as well, but it doesn't seem to help the frequent short lags. Please help, I don't know what else I can do!!! Really want to give Chrome another chance.

Required information, running a 13" Macbook Air (late 2010 model). It is the highest end model with a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, nVidia 320M integrated Graphics, 4 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD. All running on OS X 10.6.7

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

Open Activity Monitor and make sure your window looks like the one displayed below. Also, don't forget to select "%CPU" so that it puts the processes in order of what is using up most of your CPU. When you've done all of this, please take a screenshot of it (CMD+Shift+3) and post it in this thread so we can see what is using up your CPU so we can address the problem.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

3. mayhone1 macrumors regular

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

Depends. I want to see his Activity Monitor first before I give him a solution as it could be just another program going crazy using up all his CPU, or it could be a memory leak in another program.

5. mayhone1 macrumors regular

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

Umm... what exactly is the point of your post?

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

Please start a new thread with your question, as your question has absolutely nothing to do with this post what-so-ever. When you start a new thread, I will happily give you an answer.

8. ArchRivalNeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Man,

Thanks for your help. I've attached a screenshot of my Activity monitor as per your instructions.

I've moved over to Firefox now, but for this I just opened one of my previous 30+ tabs session in Chrome, let them load up, and took the screen shot. The %CPU count was jumping all over the place, but I managed to take a screenshot when Chrome was near the top of the list. Let me know what else you need for me.

Appreciate the help dude...thanks!

Attached Files:

9. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    you could do worse than run this little sequence:

reset SMC
    reset NVRAM
    repair permissions - using disk utility.

in Terminal:
    (copy and paste one command at a time, the 2nd and 3rd take a little while to execute)

sudo chown root:admin /
    (now you'll be asked to enter your system password)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

now restart and see how you go
    everything should be snappier :D