Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Hello!

I've searched a bit on the forums here and I definitely don't want to break any rules. However I have been so upset to the point of tears the last couple of days because I'm sure my precious pictures are gone forever. I'm a mother of four, and I just had my twin boys in May. I upgraded to an iPhone 6 in June and let my 5c sit in my drawer... and just a few days ago I was ready to put all of my pictures on my computer. I forgot my passcode. I tried everything but I don't want to lock myself completely out... it still has the option for me to type in my passcode but I'm scared to try anything else.

My phone has been synced with my computer before but something happened with my itunes and now it won't recognize my phone at all. It has two back ups from one year ago (I know, I know :( ). I don't know if I could reinstall iTunes and maybe it would be able to read my phone. I can't make my phone "trust" my computer because I can't unlock it. I know what possible passcodes would be but I'm scared for it to wipe out all of my pictures.

I am just torn up about this because these pictures are irreplaceable and I have no idea how to get them off. The guy at Verizon asked if I wanted my data switched to my new phone and I told him no since I was in a hurry... Do you know if I could go back if they could transfer that data to my 6 with it being locked?

I just want my pictures :( If anyone can help me please give me instructions because I'm not very good with this stuff. I called Apple also and she basically said I'm going to lose them.

If I keep trying my passcode will it eventually wipe it out? I don't know if I have the "10 times and it deletes everything" option set or not. It has locked me out up to 60 minutes. I would sit and wait each time so I could try some different passcodes if I knew it wouldn't delete anything. I can't believe I forgot.

sampd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
1. No one can help you
2. I call BS
3. Give the phone back to who ever you stole it off

Reactions: Will22

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi OP, unless you've set up the option to wipe your phone, it won't do any damage to keep trying different codes. It'll just lock you out but won't wipe the phone as default.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
1. No one can help you
2. I call BS
I bought this phone full price at Best Buy just a year ago.. Give me the benefit of the doubt. I am not a thief.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Hi OP, unless you've set up the option to wipe your phone, it won't do any damage to keep trying different codes. It'll just lock you out but won't wipe the phone as default.
Okay. So I can keep trying? Will it eventually ask to be connected to Itunes? I just updated my Itunes and plugged it in, and it is asking me to respond on the phone. :( I can't. I am probably going to lose them all.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
I've been through so much, you guys. Please don't think I just stole a phone. The pictures from the birth of my twins are irreplaceable. Without them, I have maybe 5 or 6 pictures from Facebook. If I can do anything to prove myself, let me know. I know I'm completely stupid for letting this happen. But this is truly my real situation... I understand you guys not wanting to help a thief but if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it so much.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If you backed up the phone after taking the pictures and still have the backup on your computer, you might be able to extract photos from the backup using a program like iExplorer. iExplorer offers a demo that apparently features frequent popups but gets the job done.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
I haven't done a back up since 2014. :( I was just planning on manually transferring the pictures to my disk drive after I upgraded. I am going to call Verizon to see if they can do it for me when they open.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
1. No one can help you
2. I call BS

If I had a pound for every time someone came crying to the forums with similar wows I would split it with you and we could both be rich!

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
If I had a pound for every time someone came crying to the forums with similar wows I would split it with you and we could both be rich!
I would appreciate it if you took your sarcasm elsewhere. I am dealing with post partum depression, this whole situation is indeed making me cry on forums desperate for help. Things like that comment and yours do actually get to me, okay? If you or anyone reading this has a heart at all, please refrain from more comments like this. If you were actually talking to me face to face you wouldn't dare say stuff like that. Would you be so rude to someone to their face? Am I asking to be babied? No, I'm asking that you act like an adult, talk like a gentleman or woman and if you have something to say that would help me, by all means. But keep those comments to yourself.

If you are annoyed by my post, move on to another one. No need to waste time here. That stuff actually hurts me, even if you think I'm weak for that.

Or you guys can just tell me how to delete my post and I will not bother you all again.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I would appreciate it if you took your sarcasm elsewhere. I am dealing with post partum depression, this whole situation is indeed making me cry on forums desperate for help. Things like that comment and yours do actually get to me, okay? If you or anyone reading this has a heart at all, please refrain from more comments like this. If you were actually talking to me face to face you wouldn't dare say stuff like that. Would you be so rude to someone to their face? Am I asking to be babied? No, I'm asking that you act like an adult, talk like a gentleman or woman and if you have something to say that would help me, by all means. But keep those comments to yourself.

If you are annoyed by my post, move on to another one. No need to waste time here. That stuff actually hurts me, even if you think I'm weak for that.

Or you guys can just tell me how to delete my post and I will not bother you all again.

For what it is worth yes I would say it to your face. If you read the forum you will see multiple threads with similar problems, they usually go away when they find that they can't get into the stolen/found phone!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

You've previously set a passcode on your phone. You didn't set it to wipe your phone after a number of wrong answers, and iOS doesn't have that option enabled by default. So keep trying with the passcode and it will work/eventually let you login. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You have several problems working against you here. Both with the passcode itself and the perception of the problem.

I'll deal with the passcode first.

As already mentioned, you are pretty much between a rock and a hard place here. Apple created passcodes for security reasons. If it was that easy to break a passocde, it would not be a security feature. There would instead, be legions of Apple users here in the forums complaining about how easy Apple made it for someone to break into their iDevice.

So, pretty much, unless you remember the code, you are out of luck. However, I have heard that if you show up at Apple with your receipt they may be able to help. But that's just hearsay, I've never had to do it (all my passcodes, passwords, etc are in my memory) so don't hope too much.

As to Verizon, when they asked about transferring your data I'm pretty sure they were meaning that you would have your old phone unlocked for them so they could do that. I don't believe there's some secret code bypass that Apple gives to the carriers so they can instruct their employees. That in and of itself is a security hole. Imagine the nefarious things a carrier employee who knows a trick like that can do if no longer employed by the carrier? Or even while being employed?

To offer you the best hope I can though…you might try a Windows computer. When plugged in, an iDevice will load the photos folder as a DCIM folder. I don't know if that works if the device is locked or not, but worth a try. Also, on Mac, there is an app called PhoneView which gives partial access to the iPhone file system. The photo folder is part of that file system access. There is another app for Windows, but I cannot recall the name at the moment.

Lastly speaking to perception.

You have to understand that long time users here see constant requests for defeating both passcode and Apple ID lock. Those are security features. You may be completely legit, but anyone can create a new account and put up a picture for their avatar. You are a newbie. No one knows you because you have no history here.

I am not saying that to come down on you, just explaining facts. If, for instance you had some history, had a post count and were not a newbie - people here would be more inclined to believe you. It's not a personal attack, it's just that no one knows who you are and we only have past experience to go by. You may be the one of a handful of people with a legitimate problem in a vast sea of scammers. We don't know.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: mojolicious

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Thank you both. I hesitated coming here in the first place but I figured there may be hope for me if I asked some questions pertaining to my specific situation. Maybe someone could've helped me with ITunes, or someone could let me know about my password attempts (that keysofanxiety answered for me, thank you!). I've been on a forum before and I know how repetitive things can get but there is never a good reason to be so rude to someone.

I do understand about IPhones security and I've read in certain situations there have been people successful. I often come to forums like this but I am usually a lurker. I have no need for an account because I don't have answers.

But maybe I should. To join in with the rude sarcastic commenters. But I have too busy of a life for that..

Thank you, eyoungren.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
So you have these photos of your twins birth and you just left them on an unused phone and never backed them up. Yeah they must be important alright.

Reactions: aPple nErd

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
I'm gonna wager something here - your story is a crock of ****. If you found the phone somewhere, you should turn it in to either the police or an Apple store. If you stole the phone, **** you. I hope whoever owns it is tech savvy enough to find you and beat it out of you.

If I had a penny for every time some thief with a brand new macrumors account that joined "today" posted a sob story on this forum about needing to unlock an iPhone, I could retire tomorrow. It's not fooling anyone.

By the way, where did you find that profile picture? Google? Is it to elicit sympathy? Not very convincing.

Anyways, enjoy your paperweight and go to hell somewhere else.

Also, let's test your math skills - How long is it going to take try all 10,000 possible combinations assuming it's a number lock? Have fun wasting your next year doing it. lol. Is it really worth it? Just turn the damn phone in and not be a total dick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will22

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Karma is a lovely thing, pp. you guys are talking to someone in a real situation whether you want to believe it or not. And yes that is my picture. I signed up through Facebook.

I never backed it up, if you guys would think a little bit harder, life goes from being normal to crazy after you have two babies. Okay? Life gets absolutely crazy. I didn't realize how often you all get "scammers" but I can assure you I am not one of them. As I said, tell me how I can prove myself. until you can figure that out maybe give me the benefit of the doubt. I have a long Verizon history WITH THIS PHONE that I bought full price, legally and honestly and I am appalled at how you could treat someone like this. I still have all of the original packaging, even the dumb Apple stickers are still in it.

But that's okay. I am not the kind of person to sit and fight on an Internet forum but it would bother me not to stand up for myself.

You guys are tearing apart the one person being honest.. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I understand not wanting to give a potential scammer advice. I would agree with that. But you do not have to talk to me that way. I have offered to prove myself any way I can. You could at least give me that.

But whatever... I just came for advice.
Again, thanks to anyone who offered any at all.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Karma is a lovely thing, pp. you guys are talking to someone in a real situation whether you want to believe it or not. And yes that is my picture. I signed up through Facebook.

I never backed it up, if you guys would think a little bit harder, life goes from being normal to crazy after you have two babies. Okay? Life gets absolutely crazy. I didn't realize how often you all get "scammers" but I can assure you I am not one of them. As I said, tell me how I can prove myself. until you can figure that out maybe give me the benefit of the doubt. I have a long Verizon history WITH THIS PHONE that I bought full price, legally and honestly and I am appalled at how you could treat someone like this. I still have all of the original packaging, even the dumb Apple stickers are still in it.

But that's okay. I am not the kind of person to sit and fight on an Internet forum but it would bother me not to stand up for myself.

You guys are tearing apart the one person being honest.. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I understand not wanting to give a potential scammer advice. I would agree with that. But you do not have to talk to me that way. I have offered to prove myself any way I can. You could at least give me that.

But whatever... I just came for advice.
Again, thanks to anyone who offered any at all.
I'm not going to jump all over this and call bs because there isn't any point in doing so.

1, keep trying your passcode there is no harm in doing so.

2, if you have a Mac check iPhoto to see if photo stream has backed them up without you realising.

3, do you have iCloud enabled on the phone? If the phone had it enabled and backing up to the cloud you could use iCloud.com to remote wipe the phone and then setup your iPhone selecting the iCloud backup.

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
I'm not going to jump all over this and call bs because there isn't any point in doing so.

1, keep trying your passcode there is no harm in doing so.

2, if you have a Mac check iPhoto to see if photo stream has backed them up without you realising.

3, do you have iCloud enabled on the phone? If the phone had it enabled and backing up to the cloud you could use iCloud.com to remote wipe the phone and then setup your iPhone selecting the iCloud backup.
Thank you. When we got my husbands phone last year, (an iPhone 5c as well), I tried to set it up under my Apple ID, and it messed mine up. :( that's why I'm having a hard time with ITunes, it recognizes my phone but it can't figure out my Apple ID. And my Apple ID is basically gone. No idea what went wrong. I thought it was fixed after three hours on the phone with Apple but that was back in December.

That's why I just upgraded to this new 6, started fresh with a new Apple ID. I didn't anticipate forgetting my password so I didn't worry about fixing it further.

I talked to apple yesterday and he said there isn't anything he can do for me. He did say there should be other ways I can still somehow salvage the pictures, but he wasn't allowed to tell me. He said Google! Lol...

So are you sure I can keep trying my password? I just can't remember if I have that option turned on that will wipe the phone. I don't think so. There are at least three more ways I had that passcode and if I knew I could try them, I would be good to go. I'm just scared of wiping my phone. :(

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
There is an app ...

http://www.easeus.com/iphone-recovery/how-to-get-pictures-back-from-locked-iphone.html

I've not tried it so I really don't know if it'll work for you but worth a try

Thank you, Gav2k. I will look into it. After research it isn't clear whether or not I'll be able to try any more with the passcode. There is just so many conflicting opinions out there about what may happen after you've tried it more than 9 times. I am tempted to just try it out. :( there are 4 more I could try. My husband thinks he knows it but like I said, I'm really scared to try.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thank you, Gav2k. I will look into it. After research it isn't clear whether or not I'll be able to try any more with the passcode. There is just so many conflicting opinions out there about what may happen after you've tried it more than 9 times. I am tempted to just try it out. :( there are 4 more I could try. My husband thinks he knows it but like I said, I'm really scared to try.
By default you can try as many times as you like. It's only if you go into the phone and turn on erase after 10 attempts that it'll be an issue. But that is 110% not the default setting

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
By default you can try as many times as you like. It's only if you go into the phone and turn on erase after 10 attempts that it'll be an issue. But that is 110% not the default setting
I think I will try. After I work up the courage lol. Thank you so much for your help. I really don't think I have it turned on. I remember making sure it wasn't turned on but that could've been my 6.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Many would question why anyone would spend hundreds on a brand new iPhone only to abandon it less than a year later in a drawer- forgetting the passcode. That's all.
Also, interestingly (or not) your avatar turns up somewhat odd results using Google reverse-image-lookup.

Reactions: Totally

brittanyjune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Many would question why anyone would spend hundreds on a brand new iPhone only to abandon it less than a year later in a drawer- forgetting the passcode. That's all.
Also, interestingly (or not) your avatar turns up somewhat odd results using Google reverse-image-lookup.
I signed up through Facebook. Do you guys just want more pictures of me?! What even comes up when you ran that search?!

I know the truth, if you guys refuse to believe me that's fine. Tell me how to delete my account here. Those are my children, and myself! That's my profile picture on Facebook. I don't understand what I'm doing or saying to deserve this. I want off of here. I want my daughters picture off of here because I'm sick of you all looking so hard at them! What is wrong with you all. Please tell me how to delete my account so I can stop bothering you all with my "lies and scam" okay?

Why don't you friend me on Facebook! Would that prove it? Want me to post about you sorry people? Would that help? Want me to upload a picture of my Verizon bill? Would that help? The f**** receipt for this phone? I have never ever felt so attacked in my life and you---all of you all who are so rude-- will get what is coming to you.

I won't come back here so I can stop being bothered by your comments. I told you I am going through postpartum depression, and your empathy is absolutely nonexistent, God forbid you get in a position like this one day. Some people have a life and my life isn't centered around my stupid phone like yours is. So why don't you go attack someone else because I just cannot handle this anymore. If you have time in your day to let someone know you don't believe them, you need to reevaluate your priorities and maybe find a different hobby.

I am an honest person, and I have never stolen from anyone in my life. I have never found anything and kept it for my own. i will never do that, and I'll apparently never be able to prove myself to you people so please let me know how to get out this awful place and take my picture off. I can't believe I even let you be graced with a picture of my daughters and I.

Like I said. God forbid you ever end up desperate for help one day. I wish you all well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.