Please Help - Pixelated Images, Mouse Moving Around

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DEXTERITY, Sep 2, 2010.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Greetings,

I'm not sure if I should post this under Mac Hardware or here. Nevertheless, have a Mac Pro, 2x2.66 dual core intel, 10gb ram running OS 10.6.3.

I've been noticing some weird issues lately. For no reason at all, my mouse pointer icon will start moving all over and click on random windows or icons. I'm quite sure the mouse is fine (clean, surface is clean), but it seems like it is lagging behind. For instance, if I goto open up a new window, nothing will happen. Then If I click elsewhere nothing will happen. Then all of a sudden the mouse icon will move all over the place.

My second issue is (and these are both hard to communicate via a message board) I'm starting to notice the images, windows, icons are starting to pixelate or look distorted on my screen. One minute whatever is on my screen will look fine, the next minute everything looks all jumbled up and pixelated.

I was able to grab a screenshot towards the tail end of my computer having a fit. Everything went back to looking normal except for one window which is what you will see in the screen shot.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on? I'm guessing maybe my hard drive is dying? I've never experienced this and I've been using macs for at least 20 years.

Attached Files:

2. Queso macrumors G4

That's not your hard disk, but something major is wrong with your computer. Either the graphics card or the logic board is dying. You should take it to an Apple Store or reseller and get them to take a good look at it.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I once had a similar problem with a PC and the video card had slightly come unseated in it's slot. It's worth checking before taking it back.

4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies. yikes, I'm hoping its the graphic card. computer dying would not be good after only 3 years:)