Please help! Problem with Canon HG10 and iMovie 08!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hillexallen, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hillexallen macrumors newbie

I just got a Canon HG10, and I am very impressed with it, however, I am having problems importing my footage to iMovie 08.

When I plug the camcorder in, iMovie 08 automatically detects the camera, and shows me all of the clips stored on it. I check the ones I want to import, and it imports them. After the import, it tells me that there was a problem importing a few of the clips (usually about 50% of them.) I click "Done" in the import window, and click the iMovie Event which the footage should be in, but the footage is not there. It says that it is empty.

How do I deal with this? :confused: Please help!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. hillexallen thread starter macrumors newbie

3. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Try importing the videos through iPhoto instead of iMovie.

4. hillexallen thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I do that? My camera does not show up in iPhoto.

5. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Huh, well then I don't know. Do you have all of the latest updates? If you do, try restarting the computer.

6. hillexallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. Now iMovie won't recognize the camera either. This is bad. Please help me! :eek:

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Did you do what I said?

8. keltorsori macrumors regular

I would try calling Canon, it sounds like you may have an issue with the camera. Since the HG10 compresses in AVCHD, the speed of your HD is irrelevant as far as capturing goes (it's just copying files, not capturing video like w/ DV or HDV). So errors usually point to a problem w/ the camera. As well, are you using an SD card to capture, or just the camera's built-in storage?

9. hillexallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I'll try messing around with the settings on the camera. Yeah, I restarted the computer, but I still had the same problem as I described in my first post. I am using the camera's hard disk drive. Can you even record onto an SD card? Does it have to be SDHC
    Thanks, though!
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

10. hillexallen thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

This is going to sound stupid, but I sometimes forget the simplest things... I'm assuming you have the camera plugged in and put in playback mode? Perhaps try putting it in playback mode before you connect the camera to your computer.... I'm just taking random stabs in the dark here....