PLEASE HELP - problem with newly purchased 07 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by willl, Feb 28, 2010.

1. willl macrumors newbie

If anyone can help me or give me advise i will be so greatful. thank you in advance....

So here is the problem.. I went to purchase a used 2.4ghz macbook pro 17in 2007 (non-unibody) from somebody i found on craigslist for $800, when i set up a time to meet with him he then told that it doesn't turn on but it is still covered under warranty until 11/2010 and he gave me the serial number, he just doesn't have the time to repair it and needs the money. I called apple support and told them i was about to buy this laptop and wanted to verify it was under warranty and described the situation, when i gave the serial they said that yes it was still under the warranty until 11/2010 and apple will fix anything that is non-accidental damage (water/dropped) they said i should take it to an apple tech to have it checked for those things before i buy it just in case and they recommended a tech in my area.

I had the guy meet me at the store where the apple tech was to have the laptop checked out, when we got there and explained to the tech what we were doing he tried to turn it on and only the power light would come on, he took out the battery and reset the pram, and it still wouldn't turn on, and he said that THE SERIAL NUMBER WAS MISSING from under the battery... The guy i was buying it from had the serial number written down and said that he wrote all the information down for the computer in the "about this mac" section under the advise of apple support when he finally got it to turn on one time before, but it hasn't come on since.

The apple tech said that he wouldn't be able to look at the laptop any further for a few days because he had other customer's jobs ahead of us, unless we paid him $90 to "expedite" the service order, I asked him if he would be able to then tell me 1. if there was any accidental damage and if the repairs would be covered under warranty... and 2. if he could verify the serial number of this mac book pro and prove that this computer indeed has the serial number that the guy had written down... The apple service tech said yes he will be able to do both of those right away if we pay him the $90. The seller told me that he wouldn't be able to wait a couple days and if i paid $35 he would pay the other $45 to make the $90 to have it done now...

4 hours later when we came back the apple tech said he was still waiting on an answer from apple to verify if that serial number belonged to this laptop (which i thought was weird because he said he would be able to do it himself), he did say that the serial number given does have a warranty until 11/2010 and is registered to the seller's name, there doesn't appear to be any accidental damage, and he diagnosed the issue to be a failed logic board, and as soon as apple called him back we would be all done... about 30 min later he came out and said that the only two places the serial number can be found are under the battery on the case and in the firmware/bios, without the logic board working it is impossible to verify, and apple says that they will only cover under warranty with a proof of purchase.. The seller said that he doesn't have one because he had bought it from someone else and was never given the original receipt... The apple tech said that if it were to be repaired w/o the warranty it would cost around $450 to fix everything that is wrong with this machine including the logic board but once the logic board is replaced THERE WILL NEVER BE A WAY TO VERIFY THE ORIGINAL SERIAL NUMBER and the warranty will be attached to a "dead" serial number because the laptop will now have a blank serial number in the firmware...

After all this I ended up (possibly a very bad idea) buying the laptop anyways from the guy for $450, now the laptop is still at the apple tech as i left it there until i decide what to have them do. When i got home i talked with apple support and explained the whole situation, I gave them the serial number that was written down and they once again verified that it was the seller's name that it was registered to, i asked them if they could find the name of the original owner so maybe i could get a proof of purchase, they told me that the name couldn't be found after it had been re-registered to the seller but they could see that it had been reported LOST / STOLEN just before the seller's name was registered to it, but they did explain that it doesn't really matter because the warranty goes with the product and not the customer. I also asked if maybe they could cross reference the serial number of another part inside the macbook to the "main" serial number to prove that this was in fact that laptop and they said no they dont record parts serial numbers in the laptops they only do that in the desktops. Finally the apple support told me that because the serial number had been removed that if i sent it to apple to fix this would void the warranty anyways... NOW WHY DIDN'T THE APPLE TECH KNOW THIS RIGHT FROM THE START!!!! but the apple service did say that as long as i found an apple tech that would do the repairs "in-house" and they didn't mention this then it could still be covered under the warranty (as long as i could some how prove this laptop does have the serial number i provided)......

SO SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY FURTHER FROM THIS POINT... my worst case (hopefully) will be that i paid $450, it will cost me another $330 to repair, $90 for labor, and $90 "expediting" the service so i will have a $960 used 2007 2.4ghz 17in macbook pro with no warranty and only a 90 day parts warranty... I also feel that the apple service tech lied to me because he told me that he would be able to find out what the serial number of this laptop was and couldn't, as well as the fact that he should have been able to immediately notify me that the serial number being removed voids the warranty.... PLEASE HELP....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My opinion... you've been had in a scam
    And you are going to have to suck it up and eat it

Don't blame Apple for your poor judgement
    There were red flags on this deal from the very beginning

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Please divide your text to paragraphs. That's impossible to read! Also shortening it wouldn't be bad idea...

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would say at this point take it to an Apple Store if you can get to one- this shop doesn't sound all that honest or at least straight forward! If no Apple Store is close enough- I would say find another service center certified by Apple.

down the road you might want to remember....if it sounds too good to be true....it probably is!

Good luck getting this resolved.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Woooah, I'm not even going to try tackle the paragraph... Please edit it down a bit:D Cheerz!

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I would not necessarily say that, because the name and serial number match, but it certainly seems possible.

I would go back to the store where your new broken laptop is, and call apple from there. I would have the tech there as well. I would then ask them again to fix it under warranty, when the customer service on the phone again explains that they cannot warranty the product, stand there and ask the store tech why he did not explain this to you. Confront him about it, and if he does not give you a good reason, get the store manager involved. I would think this matter could be resolved, but it does not sound right that the serial number was removed from the bottom. Good Luck

8. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry everybody for the big wall of text, this all just happened so i was kind of upset and got a little carried away on the rant...

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If that's the case, Apple might fix the problem free of charge. Still, the buyer was not careful enough. Careful, but not enough...

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, they should, and it is a simple test at the Genius Bar
    But regardless, there are many red flags on this situation

11. mac88 macrumors 6502

Sorry, but it seems to me that you were the victim of a scam. You may have to chalk this one up as a loss (a very expensive one).

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know why the hell you chose to buy that thing. The serial number is probably missing because the laptop was stolen.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Visit/call the Apple tech who looked at the MBP. Tell him that you got different information from AppleCare and you could even blame him for buying it (= ask for cheaper repair because of that) and after that receiving different information. 900$ for 17" MBP isn't much, it's very good actually, even though it's older, the new MBPs use the same CPUs.

Because the serial has been erased, I think it has been stolen but Apple doesn't have a database of stolen/lost Macs (AFAIK) so that can not be confirmed.

450$ for 17" MBP that has warranty left sounds fishy to me so that why I think it has been stolen and then the serial has been erased (maybe logic board has been killed somehow?) so that it cannot be confirmed that it's the MBP that has been stolen.

Call and ask for discounted repair because he lied to you. You can also replace the logic board yourself which might be cheaper

14. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

the seller told me that he had bought if from somebody else along time ago and never noticed/knew that the serial was not there... whether or not this was true is a different story, however when i talked to the apple support they did say that his name was registered to the serial # that he gave me, like i said though it did also say that it had been reported lost/stolen before he registered it (didn't know this until the 2nd time i talked to apple after i already had bought it) but they did say that the apple care warranty goes with the product and has nothing to do with the customer (stolen or not) or even who is registered to it...

15. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

the apple tech that has the computer now said that the diagnosis was a failed logic board... that is all that he told me as far as what was wrong with the computer

16. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

no matter how messed up the situation was now.. and whether the guy scammed or lied to me, i do believe that this laptop is the same one as the serial number he gave me (same model / specs / registered to his name) however without the serial number under the battery how do i prove it to the apple tech? the apple tech also has the seller's name and saw that the serial number was in fact registered to him as well...

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ok i have to sum this up:

-you think about buying a 17"MBP for cheap.
    -you try out a strange deal with a broken MBP that can be fixed
    -the 17"MBP is known for GPU failure and that is covered by warranty

so far that is ok

but then:

-you go for a second hand MBP with some hand written info
    -you have it checked out by some tech instead at an apple store genius
    -why oh why did YOU pay to check for accidental damage? it's the sellers responsibility to proof that
    -you find out that the serial is missing. almost everywhere that voids the warranty. you should know that
    -after all that you throw $450 after $45 that is already lost

I don't think that notebook is worth the 800-900 dollar to get it fixed. My guess is that the logic board replacement will cost you more than $1000. i do not believe you get a logic board for 330 inc. labor. correct me if I'm wrong.
    You can't go after the seller because he was upfront about everything. you would have to proof that the MBP is stolen. In that case you get nothing. Or you proof that the serial he gave you does not belong to the MBP. I will cost you a fortune to do that and then you have to sue the guy.

Put the MBP as dead on ebay. Put all info on ebay, icluding the missing serial and that there is no warranty. People need those MBPs for parts. YYou might get $300 back. You lose $200.

Or if you are bold try to find a logic board on ebay and replace it yourself as a nice project. But that is a tough one.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

if those dumb genii weren't so noobish they could have booted up or reinstalled a copy of 10.5 by memory (i've done it, using another computer as a guide), went to "about this mac" and opened the system profiler, then hit command-4 to speak the serial number of the machine.

This is assuming that the 8600 is the only thing messed up on the machine.

I would have went hardcore and enabled screen sharing, but that's cuz i'm extreme.

19. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

well as long as i can prove to this apple tech that has the laptop that this is in fact the macbook pro with that serial number then they will fix everything under warranty... i dont know if its a good idea for me to bring up the fact that apple support says that without the serial number on the case the warranty is void (at this moment if there is a way to extract the serial from the bios otherwise then i think i should complain to them that they should have known this and mislead me)... the tech said that the laptop will not boot up or turn on, the only thing on is the power light, he said that he diagnosed it to a failed logic board, if there is any way to get th serial from the bios and i can show it matches then they will fix it all...

20. willl thread starter macrumors newbie

the apple tech explained to me that they have a "flat rate" $330 repair cost with apple that they will send it to apple and apple will replace everything they find defective (as long as something hasn't been tampered with internally which the tech said he did not see anything) and then ship it back with a 90 day parts warranty, the shop will then charge me 1 hour of bench time for $90 and then i have to pay the $90 they charged me to "expedite" their service...

If there truly is no way to repair this laptop under warranty i am also wondering about the possibility of having it repaired, then when it comes back with a blank serial number, changing it to the serial # that the seller had given to me, at least that way it will be able to be serviced under the warranty until novemeber 2010 for anything in the future.... but that still wont pay for the initial repair fees...

21. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Who reported it stolen/missing? Isn't the info about the original owner available through the missing/lost item report to Apple?

What is the point of reporting an Apple product as missing or stolen, if -as you write here- Apple will simply re-register the product with a new "owner" and "honor" the warranty if a new "owner" presents such a missing/stolen product for repair?

Can you use this information and get the original owner and the police involved? Can't you use that info to try to get your money back from the person who sold you a stolen/missing product?

Right now it sounds to me that you are -in good faith or not- facilitating the sale and re-sale of stolen/missing property. So is Apple, if your report of the situation is accurate and if I understand what you wrote correctly.

Edit to add:
    Apple KB Article: HT2526
    Summary How to report lost or stolen Apple product? Apple does not have a formal flagging process for reporting stolen property. If you have lost or found an Apple product, please contact your local law enforcement agency to report it.

22. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

It appears you bought a stolen laptop, should have backed out at the point of seeing no serial on the product.

Since you're neck deep in it now might as well just go all the way and pay to have apple fix it.

23. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

you cant blame the guy who sold it to you

you should blame yourself for falling into the trap.

I did not read the whole thing, you know why, but I think you should just sell it on ebay on craigslist. I dont understand why you feel like you must stick with the laptop, just resell it again.