Please Help Quicktime Bad Request 400

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by berkmanfan14, Jun 12, 2007.

1. berkmanfan14 macrumors newbie

I canno view anything on my quicktime. I was going to watch the new keynote but it said BAD REQUEST 400. Even all the side things on the internet have the quicktime "Q" in them with a question mark.:(

Will someone please help me.
    Thank You

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try opening a new user account and see if it works there. If it does, then the problem is within your Home folder. :)

3. berkmanfan14 thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry. im new to computers, not just macs. and i didnt even know there was a user account in quicktime. would you please explain to me what to do?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I don't mean create a new user in QuickTime, I mean make a new user in System Preferences. Log into this new user and see if the problem occurs there. If it doesn't then we can be sure the problem is sourced from your original user's Home folder. It's a pretty common troubleshooting technique and it works very well for narrowing the field of possibilities from whence your error occurs. Haha! I said whence!

5. berkmanfan14 thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry. i am an idiot. i have no idea how to do that. would you help me please?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sure. You're not an idiot. :)

• Open System Preferences in the Apple Menu.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Unlock the pane in the bottom left corner, if necessary.
    • Click the plus sign (in the bottom left too).
    • Put in some details for a new account.
    • Press Okay.
    • Log out of your current account.

7. berkmanfan14 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i did what you said. i am still getting the same error. any ideas? i have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. im running out of ideas.

I CAN'T EVEN WATCH YOUTUBE

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, since QuickTime is so deeply embedded in the system, try an Archive & Install. This will keep your files and settings intact, but always keep your system backed up nonetheless.

9. berkmanfan14 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont feel comfortable trying this. i dont have any backup and im not every expericened in this type of thing. Am i screwed?

10. MartyMoe macrumors regular

Not per se, but you should definitely start with backups. It is a good thing to do on general principles- I has seen computers fried by lightning strikes, shorting out from Coke or Gatorade spills (*), or even being stolen, and not having a backup of your stuff will make you very, very unhappy. You could probably drag files to CD and burn them, or plug in an external hard drive and drag your stuff over and save anything you need first, because I don't think your Quicktime error will stop you from making backups.

(Just thought of this-- can you try to download your Internet browser of choice again? Get Safari from Apple or Firefox from Firefox; try reinstalling that, restart the computer, and see what you get, maybe the Quicktime plugin in your internet browser is squirrelly.)

But otherwise, having a backup before you try any repair process like this is just a good idea, and it will make you more willing to try, if you know your stuff is safe first. And doing a repair like this is probably your only way to get back up and running-- see MJ's link above on how to Archive and Install. What that does is move your old system while (hopefully) keeping your personal files/stuff where it belongs, but again, always make sure you are covered by having a backup first.

You will need your Mac OS CDs or DVDs, and start up from them by pressing the "C" key. First try to run Disk Utility and run a Repair and see if that helps- that should not mess with your data. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh12.html for how to run Disk Utility.

If that doesn't help, then armed with a backup you might feel braver about trying the Archive and Install.

Good luck--

(*) So no food or drink within 3 feet of a computer.... ever!!!!

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As MartyMoe wisely said, an Archive & Install shouldn't lose any of your data but a backup is pretty much essential no matter what you end up doing. If you're intimidated by booting from the OSX discs and repairing the drive, then check that this is necessary first.

• Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.
    • Click on your drive in the left pane.
    • Click on Verify Disk.
    • Wait for a while, during which time your computer may appear frozen. Don't worry about this.

Tell us what comes back. If it says everything's fine then you don't habe to worry about a repair. Let's hope this is the case. :)

12. MartyMoe macrumors regular

Just trying to help out and follow in your footsteps.

(Checks relative post counts)

Although, admittedly, that is a lot of footsteps....

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew