Please Help! (Rebuilding LaunchServices database)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .fred, Dec 13, 2007.

1. .fred macrumors regular

The deal was, that having a corrupt LS Database with 'open with' having an application with different versions of an app. So, i downloaded MainMenu and rebuilded the LS Database.

I did it three times so far, and the logs as as follows:
    Rebuilding LaunchServices database

Thu Dec 13 19:37:39 SGT 2007

Code:
    Starting rebuild...
    sh: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister: No such file or directory
    sh: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister: No such file or directory

Ending rebuild...

Thu Dec 13 19:37:39 SGT 2007

Rebuilding complete

Thu Dec 13 19:39:02 SGT 2007

Starting rebuild...

Ending rebuild...

Thu Dec 13 19:39:02 SGT 2007

Rebuilding complete

Thu Dec 13 19:43:29 SGT 2007

Starting rebuild...

Ending rebuild...

Thu Dec 13 19:43:29 SGT 2007

Rebuilding complete
    From the logs, i can see that "there's no such file or directory"? But the Rebuilding still completes?

Under Open With now, i see that there's no more duplicates. However, when i do that with an image, i get tons of options, but that seems ok as it looks liek different options: example:(Firefox Create Button) (Preview Save as PNG).

Lastly, .exe files, which i remember correctly to show a grey box with the words unix in green logo, now doesn't. The type is not a "UNIX Executable File", but a "Document."

Could someone advise me on the 3 various items? Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... I don't think so... the lsregister has moved in Leopard (time for an upgrade of MainMenu, rakka? ;)), but if you run this command in Terminal, it should rebuild it:

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
    Not sure about the other issues, but once the above is executed and perhaps a reboot, things should be back to normal...

3. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe the multple app has been addressed, but wrong icons and others have not. MainMenu.........

Anyway, could you explain to me the command in Terminal?

Thanks a lot!

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Open up your Terminal.app (it should be in /Applications/Utilities/ ie. the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder).

Once you get a "promt" there, looking something like this:

Picture 1.jpg

Type (or rather paste) in the command from above:

Picture 2.jpg

...and hit Return. Then wait a few seconds, until you get your prompt again (which means it's done):

Picture 3.jpg

Then log out and back in or - preferably - restart your Mac.

5. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, done that. Thanks a lot for your help.

Can i check to see if it has been rebulit? COuld you tell me how? Pleasssseee..

Also, have you used this program before? Picturesque

Is it good?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If the above command executes without any error messages, i.e. gets you the prompt back as in the screen shots, it has been rebuilt... :)

Sorry, never tried that one...

7. .fred thread starter macrumors regular

Can this be done multiple times? Will anything happen?

Also, how can i test it? I have a bad feeling about it..will wrong files be corrected or will only the new oens have the right configuration?