Please Help. Recent security update caused problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melbatoast, Mar 21, 2008.

  1. melbatoast macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2008
    #1
    I recently downloaded and installed the new security update. I also attempted to download the safari 3.1 update, but an error occurred during download. After restart, iTunes, Mail, Safari, Installer and iMovie will not start (Quicktime will start). The applications from bar and from applications folder will not launch. All third party apps seem to work (I used Explorer 5.2-which I found hidden in one of my folders- to download firefox which I am using now)

    I have tried:

    -Reinstalling most recent Leopard Update (10.4.11), which fails to even start because Installer crashes

    -Deleting preference files

    -Using disk utility

    -Booting from safe mode and single user mode

    -Running repair permissions from prompt screen (command-s)

    -"Problem Report for Installer" reads:
    "Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS11Interpreter4markEv
    Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore
    /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit
    Model: PowerMac4,2, BootROM 4.4.0f1, 1 processors, PowerPC G4 (2.1), 800 MHz, 512 MB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX, AGP, 32 MB
    Memory Module: DIMM0/J12, 256 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333
    Memory Module: DIMM1/J13, 256 MB, SDRAM, PC133-333
    Modem: Dash2, UCJ, V.92, 1.0F, APPLE VERSION 2.6.6


    I searched for JavaScriptCore (in loctaion noted above and using the find option), and it was no where to be found. I have yet to reinstall the system software because I would like to know what caused this. I am not great with computers but I catch on quick. Please help.
     
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #2
    I think you should have installed the Safari 3.1 update before the security update, or installed them both at the same time through Software Update. I suspect what happened is this: The security update tried to update a JavaScriptCore component which was not present, and failed, leaving the system in a partially updated state. This then caused the Safari install to fail and all the other problems you reported.
     
  3. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

    mrpalmer420

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #3
    This is sort of like the problem IPod Touch and iPhone users had with the 1.1.3 update. You had to Update iTunes before you updated you iPod or crashes were happening.

    I'm sorry that i don't have an answer for you but i wish things like this were explained when updates are available.
     

Share This Page