Please Help! Recent update and fonts have changed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by new2macAllen, Mar 30, 2010.

1. new2macAllen macrumors newbie

Hello, I assume this must have to do with my recent software update (installed today)

Now, when I open my email and many web pages - notably google, it seems as if the default viewing font has changed.. even the text on the "submit" buttons and things like that has changed...

and whats worse is the new font is barely legible. I don't have any idea what has happened or how to fix it... can someone please help, this is really annoying!

thanks so much!

2. new2macAllen thread starter macrumors newbie

and I have tried restarting twice already! ugh, please help!

3. JustinVM macrumors newbie

try deleting your font caches with a third-party utility.
    TinkerTool System - Font Finagler - OnyX

-J

4. new2macAllen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I downloaded tinker tool but dont see anything about deleting a font cache...

It almost appears as if my default font has just been changed, but according to all system settings, it is still Lucida. However, all fonts displayed on screen are quite different, like some "artsy" font installed on my system...

5. new2macAllen thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, think I solved it... somehow arial was tampered with, and it was showing a different font as installed in its place... I selected all and resolved duplicates. I disabled the font that was definitely not arial, but it was showing up in the arial folder..

I don't know how this happened, and would still like to know. Although i fixed the problem for now, I am concerned why a different font had replaced arial, even though it was clearly not even named arial.

Thanks!

6. ms.crystal macrumors newbie

OK, think I solved it... somehow arial was tampered with, and it was showing a different font as installed in its place... I selected all and resolved duplicates. I disabled the font that was definitely not arial, but it was showing up in the arial folder..

I have the same problem... How exactly did you fix it? This Happened to me first a few months ago and I just reverted back to before I had installed the updates, but I need those updates so need to find a way to fix the problem, not just avoid it.

7. new2macAllen thread starter macrumors newbie

Its annoying isn't it? It happened to me again after updating again.... Not sure of the best way to fix it so it stops happening permanently, I'd like to know that also.

Did you figure out how to temporarily fix it? That is, did you fix it so it works properly until you run updates again at least?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

OnyX, a free system maintenance tool for Mac OS X, can help track down the root causes of these kinds of problems. Font Book, a tool that comes with Mac OS X, is also enormously useful for troubleshooting fonts.

9. new2macAllen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I used fontbook to fix the issue, but it happened again when I updated again...

What I did was go in to fontbooks and "turn off" the version of Arial that was not really Arial. I realize this sounds weird. From what I could tell, there was a font on my system, which is really called "Alien League", that was showing up in Font Book under "Arial" - even though it is not Arial.

So, the Macbook thought I had multiple copies of Arial installed, and was using the one that is really "Alien League" as my default - thus making it show up in browsers and such.

So, I "turned off" the multiple copies of Arial that weren't really Arial, and that fixed the problem until the next update.