Please Help Regarding Disk Utility Erase Free Space

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by silversdood, Feb 10, 2009.

1. silversdood macrumors newbie

Hi, Can someone please help me.

I was Erasing Free Space in Disk Utility, after a while I needed to Force Quit another program but I mistakenly quit Disk Utility and now it says I only have 3.1 GB space available when it should be around 270 GB available. I'm sure Disk Utility said it was 'Creating Temporary File' at this time this happened.

I'm now also getting a message which states I need to clear out space on my start up disk.

I would really appreciate your expert guidance to rectify this.

Thank you.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to try verifying and then repairing the disk in Disk Utility and then try erasing the free space again and see if that helps.

3. silversdood thread starter macrumors newbie

4. silversdood thread starter macrumors newbie

Please can anyone help me resolve this. Now I can't start up. I just get a light grey folder with a '?' in the middle appearing. I'm a bit desperate now.

5. day1dan macrumors newbie

Please Help Regarding Disk Utility Erase Free Space

I am having this exact same problem. Has anyone figured out the solution to this problem? If not, can anyone else help?

:confused:

6. Carolus Rex macrumors newbie

Backup your data (using target disk mode and another mac)

Start from the DVD. Use disk utility from there and repair the disk. Hopefully you won't need your backup.

7. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

Either try contacting Apple Support or using Alsoft DiskWarrior

Have you tried calling Apple? Even if you do not have ACPP, they may be kind enough to help.

Alternatively, if you prefer to try to resolve it yourself, give Alsoft DiskWarrior a try. It may just resolve all your existing headaches.

An existing thread with a possible solution (see post 5).