PLEASE HELP - restore jailbreak / untether.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wobzy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Wobzy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, need some help.

I'd like to send my jailbroken iphone back to factory install and start fresh with an untethered jailbreak.
    Unless there is a way i can restore/update which will effectively produce the same result.
    I basically just want to be able to reset my phone without tethering, install packages and update apps like everyone else.
    Before you proceed, im not an idiot but my knowledge of apple/iphone/jailbreak is limited to what i have read in online guides.

Below are the details of my situation;

- iPhone 4G (16GB)
    - iOS 5.0 (9A334)
    - Tethered JB (redsn0w 9.9b7)
    - iTunes 10.5.0.142
    - Windows 7

1. Cannot install packages via Cydia, numerous messages including 'size mismatch'.
    (i had to install both i n s t a l l o u s + appsync manually through iFunbox / iFile)

2. Cannot update free Appstore apps (Facebook, IMDb, Commonweath bank, etc).
    (icon goes to 'installing', progress bar moves up and down, eventually errors out, icon stays stuck and app cannot be used. Reset does not rectify, removed apps via iFunbox did not rectify. Had to sync via iTunes without the affected apps, delete them from iTunes + HDD, then redownload and re-sync as new install)

3. Cannot locate Corona Untether in Cydia / BigBoss.
    (EDIT- downloaded deb + moved to phone via iFunbox, attempted install via iFile gave an error. Was mysteriously then able to find it via Cydia, upon install "Cannot comply etc etc" looks like its due to being 5.0 not 5.0.1)

4. Attempted jailbreaking 5.0 untethered using redsn0w 9.10b1 + b2, no effect.
    (jailbreak appeared to complete, rebooted using redsn0w, im still tethered)

5. Cant restore via iTunes following any of the online guides.
    (do not have SHSH blobs backed up)

6. Tried full reset of settings and data in iPhone settings, no effect.
    (it was stuck on the circle overnight, booted the phone in the morning and everything was as the night before. Reset did not work at all)

Thanks in advance, happy holidays.

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

3. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I got that feeling in every post i read, the headings read "untethered iOS5 or 5.0/5.1" but the message body always refers to 5.1.

So on the last two points, can i unjailbreak my phone or get it to 5.1 for untethered jb?

I got a few google hits re; downgrade 5.0 to 4.3.3 but i cant access the pages due to the firewall at work. Can i downgrade to an unjailbroken 4.3.3 then restore to get 5.1 or will it be a jailbroken install as well?

4. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I believe Apple is still signing 5.01 but I'm not sure. I would assume that a update to 5.01, then untether jb and then restore from back-up. You will DEFINETLY want to wait for more replys since i haven't been keeping up with the jb scene. Depressing and excited and patiently waiting for the A5...

Another thing to question is the baseband. You need the unlock? Best of luck!

5. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure my phone is locked to the carrier im using, tbh i dont really understand the baseband/unlock bit.

So to condense the issue a bit, am i able to erase and start fresh or am i stuck with what i've got until i find a way to update?

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I tried to jb at work a couple times with no success. I've been stuck with a boot logo until I got home. By the time you get home you should have some more responses here. I'm on phone now and quite buzzed...

7. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie