Please Help! Restoring MBP to factory settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbuchanan, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mbuchanan macrumors newbie

Here's my mess of an issue that I can't get resolved for the life of me. If someone has a clue about what I should do, please feel free to share.

Out of nowhere, my air port stopped staying on. It wasn't an internet connection issue because it was working great for all other computers in the house. I brought it into Apple and a genius ran every diagnostic on it. It thankfully wasn't the air port card (chip? not sure on proper terminology). Long story short, they concluded that it was the hard drive.
    I backed up everything onto a brand new external and then had it sent in to get a new hard drive and part of their deal was that they put on the latest version of Mac OS X. So I got upgraded from the late 2008 version to 10.6. (I believe that's the right number).
    Anyways, I turned on the computer and was using it with internet and air port and everything working just fine. I finally figured out how to restore my hard drive (backed up via time machine) and so after about a week I finally got around to that and it looked great. All my old settings and files were back but now the air port quit working again. I about freaked out. Called Apple and they said they could look at it and try to wipe it clean and put things back on the new hard drive from my back up one by one to see where the corruption is (because obviously it's something on my end) however, the nearest store is two hours away and I'm a broke college student. So I'd love to fix this on my own.
    Here's the actual question: do I do a factory setting reset? I'm afraid to loose the latest version of Mac OS X. I doubt they'll put it back on once I remove it. But if I have to use my old version then I guess that's just what has to happen. But also, will removing everything resolve my problem??

I apologize for the lengthy post. I just figured getting the whole story would help. If anyone knows what I could do please, please let me know. This is very frustrating and quite inconvenient as well.
    I appreciate it!

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

OSX stores some system settings in /library

Try restoring everything except these (*)

(*) if you use iWeb, you will have to restore /library/application support/iWeb

3. mbuchanan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to be so ignorant, but how can I pick what I do and don't want to restore? I really don't know where to even being to do it all correctly.