Please help! rMBP making very strange and disturbing sound!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by des.rafael, Mar 17, 2014.

1. des.rafael macrumors newbie

2013 late rmbp just got it a week ago. I added some thermal pads onto the heat sink area so that the heat could transfer to the back cover and changed the thermal paste to coollaboratory pro. Everything is working great until today i notice when i am running win 8.1, if i press near the right loud speaker area or the same area on the back cover, the system makes notification sound , as if you have just plugged in a usb device or something. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? I can send a photo if needed.

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Why on earth did you do that on a brand new laptop. If anything went wrong with it it would have been covered by the warranty!:confused:

Barney

3. des.rafael thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is i did the same thing on my 2010 mbp, works perfect, idle temp dropped from 60 to about 40 on osx, and on win when fully loaded temp dropped from near 100 to somewhere 80. and i don't think that voids the warranty, i took my old mbp to applecare a year ago and they didnt say a thing about that.

4. des.rafael thread starter macrumors newbie

hahhahaha, have it figured out. it turns out that the last time when i took out the heat sink module ( which i thought the fans need to be taken out before u can remove the heatsink.) while putting the fan back on the wire connecting mainboard to usb and sd card reader was not connected properly. so whenever i push that area the system gives out notification sound but since the driver for the sd card reader is installed therefore a notification for new device installed and driver needs to be installed is not displayed. hope this would help whoever have the same problem (seems very unlikely though)

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Numpty! It's a new machine under warranty. Don't start "modding" it.

6. des.rafael thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i think i will take my chances considering 20 degrees temp drop.

7. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

The MBP had user serviceable parts, the rMBP doesn't so opening will more than likely affect your warranty.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Speaking from experience cos I've stripped down all of the notebooks, a 2010 is child's play compared to the retinas done properly so an apple technician doesn't void your warranty when they open it to take a look. I can understand you wanting to re-paste the heatpipe as the application of it is generally poor but unless you have a stock of the apple compound like I do they will notice. If you have to have it looked at by Apple I suggest you get a technician who knows what he's doing to make it look like 'factory' first.

9. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I agree those techs can tell,simply by seeing less paste as according to apple they have tonapply paste in the amount that is specified, secondly the non retinas you could open and change ram and hdd without them saying anything on the retinas they do not want you in there even if there is an issue they will mostly try and put it on you. However could you post pics of your mod, the idea sounds nice for me to try on my out of warranty retina.