Please Help: Running "N" and "B/G" Simultaneously

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jzj687, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

Ok, heres my issue:

I have my main, new airport extreme base station, attached to my modem by ethernet into the wan port. I also have my Time Capsule on another floor, "extending the network".

I want to make this network all "n" at 5ghz, but I still have b/g only computers that need a b/g network. So, I took my old round airport extreme, ran a cable from its LAN port to the LAN port on my New airport extreme, and set the old airport to "create a network".

So, now I have 2 networks. Both are working, but I feel like my main "n" network should be a bit faster than it is, I feel like I did something wrong and this wasnt the best way to do what I want to do....

Your advice would be greatly appreciated....

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Did you set up two separate networks? They should have different names, I did this and just added 5 or 2.4 to my original name to identify them. It works fine, my wife is connecting at 54 on a Vaio using 'a', my ipod touch, work Dell and the Wii are connecting via 'g' also at 54 and my MBP is connected at 270 via 'n'.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

I believe that extending can harm speeds. very basically it's using half the signal for IN and the other half for OUT on the repeater.
    if you can, run a cable between the 2, and you can have a second base station. just give them both the exact same wireless settings, and your devices will automatically connect to the strongest signal.

From what i've seen in other posts, and my own experience, N tops out about 6-8 MB/s

i also run 2 networks a B/G and a N, I just have "name-G" and "name-N"