PLEASE HELP: Screenshots of 1900x1200 HiR 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sappster, May 9, 2008.

1. sappster macrumors newbie

(in desperation, also posted on macforum, macworld)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum! This is my first post.

I really need your help (fairly urgently actually).

I am trying to decide between purchasing a 17" High Resolution or a 15" MBP.

There are no apple distributors in Perth who stock the 17" HR and I would really like to see what it looks like. I saw one last year - but, I don't quite remember much of it. I am quite concerned that the "non-enlargeable" text such as menu/webaddress/bookmark on menus will be way too small for my eyes. At the same time I have read so many nice things about how beautiful this screen is.

I would be using this for keynote presentation on the laptop (for business). So the 17" screen is a good size. I don't want to go for the standard non LED 17".

What I really would like is for some of you guys to upload some GRAB screenshots of the 15" and 17' HiRes and 17" standard resolution (full size images without cropping or reducing) - for comparison. The screen shots to contain various elements from youtube videos, to websites, to text, to dock, menu bars etc. The more the better.

I have spent DAYS online trying to find screenshots. Any pictures uploaded on to this thread would most likely be the first ever comparison and it would help a LOT of people out there. Alternatively, you can email to me: sappster@optusnet.com.au

I really would appreciate your help - soon if possible as I would really like to place an order.

Thank you very much in advance.
    :):):)
    Sapps

2. phatspider macrumors 6502

Im not able to post screenshots but my 17" hi res glossy mbp turned up yesterday and I love it!

The 1900x1200 screen is just amazing - and in my opinion not too small in the slightest

you can use multitouch in web browsing to increase text size but i've not had a reason to as yet

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Lost Love: I remember thee!

Here you go my friend, this is a screenshot from the Hi-Res MBP I used to have:

[​IMG]

Every now and then I look at it longingly, lamenting over my past love affair with it, tears of joy running down my face. Alas, how could I have given it up so easily, and in doing so, having given a piece of my inner self away as well? Sadness and despair are my only partners now. Pity me for my loss is great and unending! :eek:

Haha. :D

Seriously though, that screenshot should give you a good idea of how much you'll be able to fit on your lap. If I was getting a 17" again there's no way I wouldn't get the Hi-Res option - it's amazing. Like having a desktop on your laptop, as it were. The only reason I sold it was cos I needed something smaller for commuting but if you're not gonna be travelling around a lot that laptop is a must have. And don't worry about text size, there's the odd website where you'll have to increase the text size temporarily but everything else is fine.

Don't hesitate, you'll love it! (But personally I'd wait for the rumoured redesigned model coming in the Summer.)

4. Zeos macrumors 6502

Go with the 17" hi-res!

I struggled with the decision between the 15" MBP and the new 17" Hi-res MBP. I went with the 15" and it's great, but I regret not going with the 17" hi-res. The extra screen real estate would have been nice. I brought my 15" MBP to an Apple store and compared it side-by-side with the 17" screen, and the 17" was much crisper and cleaner. To me, the 15" just isn't all that sharp and appears somewhat washed out. No such issue with the 17" hi-res. Very sharp. Plus, the 17" hi-res was obviously much brighter and easier to read than the old non-LED 17". Go for the 17"!

5. sappster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Phatspider, Neutral Gamer, Zeos,

Thanks very much for your hep and advice!

Neutral Gamer - you're a funny man! The picture is really helpful. More than that - you've inspired me to wait for a month or two to see if Jobs puts out a new MBP. That would be excellent. I thought it might take a number of months - but, after reading what you said, I went and did a little research. It appears that a new one might be coming up soon. YAY! *here's hoping*

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
    Sapps
    :):):):):):):):):):):):)

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I owned everything and I can tell you that the 17" hi res is the best screen I've ever laid my eyes on.

I love absolutely love the screen right on your lap its so gorgeous and so much space to work on. But in the end I couldnt justify the price of $3000 for a laptop. Not to mention carrying it outside with me is just scary..

IMO the 2.4Ghz mbp are the best $$$/Performance but if your going to use the 17" as your only machine with no external monitor and especially $$$ is not an issue, I'd say go for it you WONT regret it.

7. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Merci Monsieur

Always makes me happy to make someone laugh! :) Am surprised that no one else posted any screenshots though, I know there's a lot of people on these forums with the relevant hardware to have been able to.

I'm gonna be waiting right with you on that one mate - well for the 15" MBP anyway. It's already the 11th May - how many more Tuesdays (or possibly Mondays) before we see our (hopefully redesigned) new machines? This month seems to be going so slowly as well ...

Also if you ever want any general advice or have any questions on what it was like owning a Hi-Res 17" MBP (the ultimate Apple laptop), don't hesitate to PM me or even post here. I remember doing so myself before making the jump and got a lot of helpful replies.

Cheers :D

8. acarle208 macrumors member

9. sappster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply acarle :)

Thanks again NG. I am salivating at the thought of a new MBP. I was waiting last Jan(?) for a new MBP and they came out with MacAir - lovely, but too many things missing for me. hopefully the new MPBs will combine the best of both worlds and create something fantastic. I am going to have to be extremely patient if nothing happens at the WWDC.

You are right about needing more screenshots. It would be excellent to have those for people to consider prior to purchasing. In fact, it would be good to put the images in the IMAGES section of the forum.

Thanks again...

Best regards,
    :):)