Please Help, Setting up router and AirPort with port forwarding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by s8film40, Jun 8, 2008.

1. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a DSL Router supplying my internet connection, this is then connected to my AirPort Base station and distributes my internet connection to my two Macs and my two iPhones. Everything is working fine, however I want to forward some of the ports and I cannot do this since the base station is in bridge mode. If I take the AirPort base station out of bridge mode it gives me an error that say's Double NAT.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

You will probably want to check and see if there is a way to put your other router into bridge mode (or turn off NAT - Network Address Translation) in order to supply the Airport base station with a dedicated connection. Then, you should be able to enable port mapping on the Airport base station.

What type of router do you have and is it a modem/router combo?

3. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

It is a BEC 7402 and yes it is a modem and router combined, it was supplied by my ISP. I tried turning NAT off on the router and then I lost my internet connection.

4. mediaguru macrumors regular

A quick glance at the BEC manual located here seems to indicate that you must manually change the WAN settings in the BEC in order to bridge to another network (a "second router"). Unfortunately, this is not something for the faint of heart. I would guess that your BEC is currently set to use a "routed" WAN profile. You would probably need to edit or replace that configuration with a "bridged" profile. That way, the connection would be "passed" through ethernet to the Airport. I have no experience with BEC products, so I'm not able to say exactly what settings are needed. If you decide to experiment, I would suggest that you carefully write down ALL settings as they work now so you have something to go back to.