Please help! shuts down while installing 10.6! :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnnylavic, Sep 6, 2009.

1. johnnylavic macrumors newbie

Good evening/night,

I tried looking for solution on Google but did not find it so I decided to register here and see if anyone could help me.

I am running Leopard on an aluminum iMac from late 2007 and everything was fine. Yesterday I bought Snow Leopard, put inside the DVD and clicked Restart. The computer restarted and the Apple logo appeared. The spinning wheel was spinning for like 7 minutes and then the computer just shut down!! :mad:

I tried again and again but the problem continued. So then I tried different approach.. I took out the DVD and restarted the computer. After the startup sound I held ALT until the Macintosh HD appeared, inserted the CD, it was recognized so I selected it but the same damn problem. Apple logo and then shut down.

Today I was able to exchange the DVD for another one (thought that maybe a bad install disk) but.. the same problem with the new dvd!! :mad::mad:

So now I am worried that I have problem with my iMac. I hope that it is not broken because I do not have money to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas of the cause and solution to this? :(

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Put the DVD in, restart and hold option. A dialog will come up with your HD and the DVD, select the DVD. Install.

Check back and let us know if it worked. :)

3. johnnylavic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, didn't you read my post? I already tried it. Doesn't work. iMac shuts down after the Apple logo. :(

4. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Put your leopard disc in Wipe the hd then try it again

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Sorry, I did read it but the ALT threw me off (Yes I realize it's the same key). Try inserting the disk before restarting and hold down the Option key again until that dialog appears. Select DVD again and install. Try one more time just to humor me?

If it doesn't work this time, try to be more specific with exactly how far you get in the process. Maybe time some of the events. I am trying to help, not trying to be a jackass. :)

You can also try this if you have your data backed up.

6. markojug macrumors regular

Can you boot into Leopard fine? If it doesn't, your HD might have gone kaput.

7. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Also if that does not work, ill get you to boot up the "dirty" way... (What most osx86 guys go through) It shows you exactly what your mac is doing while booting. It looks like a unix screen.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't restart. Just insert the disk while your OS is running and click install. It'll do the rest for you. Most of it before the restart.

9. johnnylavic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses!

Ok, so just for ***** and giggles I tried it again - it is not going anywhere. It took 12 full minutes for spinning wheel to spin until the iMac has shut down.

The hard drive is fine because Leopard runs great. I am really clueless. I guess I will have to try to do a full restore tomorrow after I buy some DVDs to back up my data (I dont have an external drive).

My usage is very average, I used the thing for Office, Photoshop, Spore and Battlefield 2142 as well as iTunes and iLife. Nothing too heavy.

I am sorry, I do not understand. I put the DVD inside when OS is running, I click to install and a window comes up with only one button saying "Restart". What do you mean? (I am not exactly an expert on these things).

10. johnnylavic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I am going to put inside my restore DVD and see if it is able to survive the Apple logo and spinning wheel.. If it can then it is going to be a mystery of mysteries why my iMac refuses to get to the Select Your Language screen of Snow Leopard.

11. johnnylavic thread starter macrumors newbie

my leopard DVD shows up fine as well as Tiger restore. apple logo passes after like 4 minutes and it asks me to choose a language etc. all options are accessible and all utilities too. What The F! :mad: I am sorry for being like this but it is ridiculous. Well, I am glad that I can at least restore my system if necessary but why Snow Leopard doesn't want to show up is beyond me.

Is this like some kind of plot by Apple to make me think that my computer is broken so I go out and buy a new one? :mad: Just kidding :D

Well, I don't know what the hell is going on but I guess I'll stick with Leopard. I hear that SL is not that much different anyway other than some internal things. I am glad I only spent $30 on it. Not that much of a waste.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

There have been some users with bad DVDs. Have Apple swap yours and try again.

Alternatively, make an image of the DVD, restore it to an external and boot to that.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The only suggestion I have then is to go to an Apple Store and have them do it. Maybe it's a failing disk drive that doesn't recognize certain DVDs.