(PLEASE HELP)Slow Mac and can't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianlhp, Apr 30, 2013.

1. brianlhp macrumors newbie

Well, I don't know where to start but anyway recently I boot my Mac, I found that it took me a very long booting time. Then I did some repair and verify the disk in disk utilities but it didn't help.
    Then, I start to search in the web for some solutions, I tried nearly l the solution they've mentioned. If I finally boot my Mac it performed extremely slow. Especially the spotlight, the safari or whatever is not that slow. It's normal when I browse the web.
    I also installed windows on my Mac (bootcamp). I then boot to windows and I also can't boot into windows. It said that a software or hardware may have changes or something else it ask me to insert the installation disk and repair the system.
    That's mean that's not the Mac system's problem, is the whole hard disk problem? But the smart status in disk utilities said is ok. Ease help me everyone. Please help

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

All signs point to hard drive failing. Hope you have a backup! Try making one now if not.

Don't do a clone backup, just drag all your files to a big memory stick or hard drive.

Cloning will probably mess up if it is failing in spots.

3. brianlhp thread starter macrumors newbie

So what I need to do now is to restore my backup?

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Not onto the same drive. That won't help if its failing. I'm saying copy your data somewhere else while you still can if you haven't already. If it completely dies you may not be able to get your data.

5. brianlhp thread starter macrumors newbie

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Few things:

1. Open disk Utility, click on the HD, not Macintosh HD but the physical HD above it, then look in the lower part if smart status says passed.

2. Backup with Carbon Copy Cloner (free up until 3.4.7) or Disk Utility, don't do as the above poster says, bad way to copy data on OS X.