Please Help! Software Update Problem!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dndfr3k, Dec 18, 2007.

1. dndfr3k macrumors newbie

I have had many problems with leopard. HAVING TO INSTALL IT 3 TIMES! and after the last install my macbook was running smooth. i just clicked to do a software update. clicked install. all was going normal. after i finished it said to restart computer. so i did. and it took me to a page with the top bar set as leopard, but. the background was blue and asked what country i was in. as if starting from tiger. from scratch.

i cheaked out abit more and my files were still there.
    what should i do???
    reinstall leopard again???
    please help me!:D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Mine did something similar with that last security patch. Except it looped between the login screen and that where do you live stuff. To my surprise clicking shutdown on the login screen fixed it. It apparently hadn't finished installing the update which was why it went all strange, so when I shut it down again, it finished and then went back to working normally.

4. dndfr3k thread starter macrumors newbie

well

i have had to reformat my laptop a couple times. i really dont want to have to do it again. do you think that i could just reinstall leopard

5. katey macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I did my updates this morning, restarted my mac (like I do every week) and it wouldn't start up. I manually restarted it and it seemed to be fine until my screen went black and a couple of text lines came up about missing threads etc. I am the furtherest thing from a mac guru and this completely freaked me out. I took it to a local mac shop to have it looked at and they said that when doing updates I should make sure my power cable is plugged as well as connecting directly to the internet instead of through a wireless connection. This whole affair is likely to cost me about $140 CAN! Why don't Mac publish this type of info or have a pop up recommending what to do before installing updates? It would help people like me avoid such issues and having to pay a fortune for it to be fixed. (I took the rush repair option because I would have had to wait nearly 2 weeks otherwise.)
    Has anyone else had this problem?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What have you done to the machine since the last reformat? :)