Please help. Someone please.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macnewbie2012, Jan 4, 2012.

1. macnewbie2012, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

macnewbie2012 macrumors newbie

I purchased a macbook 2006 core duo for $350 from a dude off of craigslist. He installed snow leopard on it.

I wanted to reinstall the OS using the restore disc that came with it but it's version 10.4 i think. And the installer always says this software can't be installed or something. I already know about the downgrade issue.

IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN USE THE RESTORE DISC?
    do i wipe the hd then use the disc or what?? please someone help. because i want to run on a secure computer or what's called a fresh install.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you have to perform an ERASE AND INSTALL: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1545

Or you could get the 10.6 Upgrade DVD for 29 USD and do a CLEAN INSTALL:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to wipe the disk first. Boot from the cd and click on the Utilities menu in the toolbar. Select Disk Utility and erase your disc.

4. macnewbie2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow. thanks for the fast reply.

if i wipe then install 10.4. i am guessing tiger. what to i need to do to installer snow leopard like i have now in the future?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. simsaladimbamba

As said before, get the 29 USD Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You will need to buy a SL update install disk. I would recommend upgrading to at least leopard, a lot of software doesn't support tiger anymore.

8. macnewbie2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

do i have to pay for leopard which is like 129 or something?
    i heard you need leopard to upgrade to snow.

also which os is 10.4?

also i was reading the apple support link you gave me.
    that won't work because after te installer comes u and then select a language it says that error. and gives me two options "restart ot start-up disk"

pleae help?

----------

also does ANY store like staples or anyone still sell the disc instore?

if i buy it from the apple store is that all i need to to a complete FRESH install?

also can it be downloaded after being purcahsed from the apple store online?

9. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will suffice, it is a fully working RETAIL version and does not need a prior version of Mac OS X installed on the Mac you want to install 10.6 onto.

Tiger

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Regardless of where you buy it (Apple, eBay, ...), it will be able to help you and do a fresh install, called a CLEAN INSTALL (instructions see above).

Not from Apple.

10. macnewbie2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I am just so new to mac.
    Anyway i will order it from the apple store tonight. thanks guys.