please help, spill

zao8350

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
i have a mid '09 macbook pro unibody and just managed to spill a coke on the keyboard. i immediatley grabbed the closest thing, a throw, and mopped up the coke before grabbing a tshirt and trying to blot the rest. as of the first 5 minutes of the spill, no problems. what should i do? the the left control, option, and command key's backlight now has a yellowish tent, i assume from coke. please help me, im usually a lot more professional than this with my posts but i am freaking out!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Turn the machine off NOW!

Let it sit for three days to dry. DO NOT try to turn it back on for 3 days.

zao8350

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
should I do anythig special to help dry it?
man, feel like an idiot. sitting there with a coke playing dead space and it slips. and you guessed it, I'm a college student. guess drinks and laptops don't mix and ishould have know. I've learned my lesson, let's hope chunksPRO lives.
I'd like to apologize for the post, I was panicking so I didn't check the forums even though I'm sure there are several threads identical to this. I've probably made myself appear to be the noob I never wanted to be.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I spilled a tiny bit off water on my keyboard I wiped it down w/ a rag, turned it off and let it sit for a few hours. I haven't had any problems w/ mine backlit keyboard still works fine. you should be good unless you had the entire bottle spill on it, also I just bought a keyboard cover for mine I suggest you get one to.

zao8350

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
thabks ggj, i checked out that link and it hadsome good stuff. searching just wasn't the first thing I thought to do.

yeah, I turned it off after mopping it with some shirts and now I have it open and upside down with the keyboard resting on some soft cotton shirts. the screen is hanging over the side of a desk. a put a few paperbacks on the back of the computer so it will stay and drain some but not fall. I think I'll be investig on one soon and keeping drinks and food far away

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
thabks ggj, i checked out that link and it hadsome good stuff. searching just wasn't the first thing I thought to do.

yeah, I turned it off after mopping it with some shirts and now I have it open and upside down with the keyboard resting on some soft cotton shirts. the screen is hanging over the side of a desk. a put a few paperbacks on the back of the computer so it will stay and drain some but not fall. I think I'll be investig on one soon and keeping drinks and food far away
I'm afraid you may be out of luck after it dries. The sugar will crystallize and if any of the coke got on the mother board you're hosed. Since it will do no good to chastise you I will recommend to learn from others who spilled liquids on their Macs keyboards and get an iSkin keyboard cover.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I would also remove the battery. Even if the machine is off it may be possible for the coke to form a path between potentials.

I would also try to find a local repair shop that can clean the laptop. I haven't tried this but I've seen discussions about using distilled water to rinse clean the internals after people spill coke or orange juice or similar liquids in their computers.

Good luck.