Please help spot the difference between these 3 units

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by parlem, Aug 21, 2016.

1. parlem macrumors member

Hi!
    The Spanish refurb store has currently got three 13-inch Airs whose specs seem identical but are priced differently. I wonder if anyone on here could shed any light as to why that is so.

Many thanks in advance. Captura de pantalla 2016-08-21 a les 20.41.00.png

2. Pugly macrumors regular

The 3rd one has an i7. The first one is a model from this year when 8GB became the default configuration, but besides that is identical to the 2nd one. Not sure why the 'older' unit is more expensive though.

3. parlem thread starter macrumors member

Oh, of course! How could I miss the different processor? Duh! Thanks for pointing that out. The 10€ gap between the other two remains a mystery, I guess.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Apple is weird sometimes. The cost of the refurb models is (I think) usually just a fixed percentage function based on the original list price for that model, without taking anything else into account. (As the age of the model becomes greater, I think the percentage they take off also grows, but oftentimes that percentage off does not grow at a reasonable rate compared to the time that has passed.) Because of this, you can end up in weird situations where older models with essentially the same config as a newer one is as expensive or more expensive in the refurb store than a current model, because that configuration used to cost more than it does today.

In April, Apple decided that for the 13" Air, they were going to standardize on 8GB on the base models, and they did so while keeping the same price for the base models as before. Other than that, there were zero changes made to the Air line. So the first two models *are* exactly identical, but the second one was a "BTO" model that in USD would have originally sold for $1,299 in 2015 (base model + $100 for the bump in RAM from 4 to 8GB), while the first is a stock model that sells today for USD $1,199. So since Apple is going *completely* based off of unique SKUs and their original selling prices, and *not* specs, depending on how they determine the percentage off, it is conceivable that the older laptop could end up being more expensive than the newer one in the refurb store, even though there isn't a lick of difference between them.

-- Nathan

5. parlem thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for such a detailed response, Nathan!