PLease Help - ssd makes macbook pro run hotter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnnyChao, Jun 1, 2012.

1. JohnnyChao macrumors member

i recently installed a intel ssd 520 120gb ssd. it is blazing fast!

but i noticed the computer runs 10 degrees hotter then on the stock hard drive

is this normal?

my assumtipon was faster read speeds increase processing thus makeing it a bithotter?

2. JohnnyChao thread starter macrumors member

over 300 views no one has anything to comment? :confused:

3. kdog679 macrumors member

Are you running two drives (one where the optical drive was)? Two drives will run hotter than one drive + optical drive. Also, have you checked disk permissions? Or did you install lion fresh on your new ssd?

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I always thought ssds were more energy efficient and ran cooler.

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

No, some SSD's consume quite a bit more power (Watts) than other SSD's. I know that my intel 520 consumes more than the average SSD and 2.5" hard drive.

That doesn't necessarily mean there is going to be an significant increase in heat, because 10 degrees F or C hotter is more than a drive issue.

6. JohnnyChao thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the comments guys! i did a fresh install of lion onto the SSD as i always thought this would prevent any issues if i did a time machine backup.

im not sure what u mean by disk permissions. could that be the issue?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Views don't mean anything. You need to give any discussion forum site more than just a few hours for replies. If you need a faster response then a discussion forum site isn't the proper resource.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

8. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I have seen this happen when installing an SSD into a Windows XP laptop. The heat is not generated by the SSD, but the processor working harder since data is getting to it faster. In this case, after all the items loaded the system temp subsided. What this means, is there were a lot of startup processes that were I/O bottlenecked and were shifted to being processor limited. So check your processes to see if there is something running intensely. Also, since you did a clean install, it could be Spotlight.

9. JohnnyChao thread starter macrumors member

so a clean install was a bad idea?

10. JohnnyChao thread starter macrumors member

macrumors forum rules also aplies to posts that must be related and/or help the topic discussion. guess your not the only one who busts the rules