PLease Help - ssd makes macbook pro run hotter?

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
i recently installed a intel ssd 520 120gb ssd. it is blazing fast!

but i noticed the computer runs 10 degrees hotter then on the stock hard drive

is this normal?

my assumtipon was faster read speeds increase processing thus makeing it a bithotter?

kdog679

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Are you running two drives (one where the optical drive was)? Two drives will run hotter than one drive + optical drive. Also, have you checked disk permissions? Or did you install lion fresh on your new ssd?

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
my assumtipon was faster read speeds increase processing thus makeing it a bithotter?
No, some SSD's consume quite a bit more power (Watts) than other SSD's. I know that my intel 520 consumes more than the average SSD and 2.5" hard drive.

That doesn't necessarily mean there is going to be an significant increase in heat, because 10 degrees F or C hotter is more than a drive issue.

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Are you running two drives (one where the optical drive was)? Two drives will run hotter than one drive + optical drive. Also, have you checked disk permissions? Or did you install lion fresh on your new ssd?
No, some SSD's consume quite a bit more power (Watts) than other SSD's. I know that my intel 520 consumes more than the average SSD and 2.5" hard drive.

That doesn't necessarily mean there is going to be an significant increase in heat, because 10 degrees F or C hotter is more than a drive issue.
thanks for the comments guys! i did a fresh install of lion onto the SSD as i always thought this would prevent any issues if i did a time machine backup.

im not sure what u mean by disk permissions. could that be the issue?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
over 300 views no one has anything to comment? :confused:
Views don't mean anything. You need to give any discussion forum site more than just a few hours for replies. If you need a faster response then a discussion forum site isn't the proper resource.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I have seen this happen when installing an SSD into a Windows XP laptop. The heat is not generated by the SSD, but the processor working harder since data is getting to it faster. In this case, after all the items loaded the system temp subsided. What this means, is there were a lot of startup processes that were I/O bottlenecked and were shifted to being processor limited. So check your processes to see if there is something running intensely. Also, since you did a clean install, it could be Spotlight.

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I have seen this happen when installing an SSD into a Windows XP laptop. The heat is not generated by the SSD, but the processor working harder since data is getting to it faster. In this case, after all the items loaded the system temp subsided. What this means, is there were a lot of startup processes that were I/O bottlenecked and were shifted to being processor limited. So check your processes to see if there is something running intensely. Also, since you did a clean install, it could be Spotlight.
so a clean install was a bad idea?

JohnnyChao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Views don't mean anything. You need to give any discussion forum site more than just a few hours for replies. If you need a faster response then a discussion forum site isn't the proper resource.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
macrumors forum rules also aplies to posts that must be related and/or help the topic discussion. guess your not the only one who busts the rules