[Please Help]Stuck with start screen [No CD to boot]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by herronpotter, Apr 25, 2012.

1. herronpotter macrumors newbie

I was using the MBP normally, but it suddenly freezed. I hold the power button to shutdown, then turn it back on, the start screen appeared with a vertical pink stripes, the circle below the apple logo spinning for a while and finally out this picture:

[​IMG]

- My Mac's CD-Room was corrupted so I cannot boot the install disk. I google and found a lot of people getting this error, I've tried many ways follow the instructions in this link (such as reboot in safe mode, reset NRAM): https://support.apple.com/ kb/TS25...ase help me, I'm so frustrated right now T__T

2. julianabr macrumors newbie

Did you ever get a solution to this? I'm having the same problem, tried the same things and still having trouble.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Assuming you also can't use a bootable disk, you'll need to use this or try this.

4. julianabr macrumors newbie

I have the boot media. I've tried booting from thumbdrive in snow leopard, thumbdrive in Lion, external hard drive via usb, external hd via firewire, system disk, various bootable disks from different testing software (ex tech tools pro). Nada.

I've tried safe boot, single user boot, flush pram, nvram, smc, etc. Will not complete boot. gets to apple screen with gear. Happy gear turning, several minutes later: unhappy frozen gear. Nothing else happens.

I'm unlike this guy because my data and/or hard drive really isn't my issue. However, when booting in verbose, I hang in the same place he does:

I'm not the only one on the net to have this frozen boot issue, where it freezes at that line. But for all that posting, can't find a solution anywhere.

I can get to single user mode and I've run some command line testing, but that software didn't look at net cards. I've been able to eliminate RAM, VRAM, Video card trouble, disk issues that way.

My question is if the network card's firmware is buggy, would that freeze my boot in this way? The other question is how can you supress the network cards during boot? Back in the old PC days, safe boot mode gave you a choice of safe boot with network or without. Mac does it with.

Is there a boot command I can execute in single user mode (maybe an nvram aargument?) that will not include the net hardware?

----------

Oh, of course I'm trying all this with no peripherals, no connections

----------

And today I also tried to boot off a windows install disk. still didn't work.