Please help switching from Firefox to Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macaddict23, Oct 9, 2009.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I've been using Firefox for several years now, but I'm planning on switching to Safari because it's so much faster. But there are two annoying things that are preventing me from doing so:

1) In Firefox, I can simply add a Bookmark or a Folder directly under the URL box (image below). How do I achieve this in Safari 4.0.3?

[​IMG]

2) How can I view the CSS code of a Website that I'm currently viewing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

To answer your first question, when you visit a website, click the "+" sign to the left of the address bar. It will ask you if you want to add a bookmark to Top Sites, or you can select "Bookmarks Bar". If you want to create a folder of bookmarks in the Bookmarks Bar, just go to the Bookmarks page. The easiest way to get there is to click the picture of the book, which sits underneath the "back" button. From there, create a new folder by clicking the "+" sign, and drag any bookmarks you want into that folder.

To answer your second question, I have no idea. :)

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

right-click then select view source, the css sheet should come up.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Make sure you have the bookmarks bar: View > Show bookmarks bar. Now you can do the same as in Firefox: drag the url from the address bar to the bookmarks bar or use the appropriate buttons/keys to add a bookmark and choose the bookmarks bar to have it stored right there.

For the CSS you might want to enable the develop menu (it's under advanced in the prefs), it'll bring you some more nice features.

5. Jookbox macrumors 6502

I've recently done the same after a fresh osx install. We'll see if I can live without all my extensions. You'll definitely want to add the 'Web inspector' button to you toolbar. This has similar functionality to the Firebird extension in Firefox.