Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevMacLovin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
So I accidentally put my System Preferences thing in the trash can and then deleted the trash. i thought it was just a shortcut like it would be on Windows.

So it didn't delete(obviously) and now when I click on it to open it up its saying it cant open because it "may be damaged or incomplete"

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you put the icon from the Dock into the Trash or did you put System Preferences located in Applications directly into the Trash?

Have you tried repairing permissions?

And by the way, icons not marked with a black arrow on the bottom left (aliases) and not located in the Dock are most of the times original files, and not shortcuts, or as Mac OS X calls them, aliases.
So you can delete anything in the Dock, and anything with the little black arrow, but if you delete anything else, be sure, that you want to delete it, and don't feel sad if it's gone.
frontrowaliasiconexample.jpg

KevMacLovin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
It was from the desktop.

No I have not. How do your "repair permissions"?

I accidentally put it in my recycle bin and then emptied my trash.:(:(:(

How can i get it back?

Thanks.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I wonder what your System Preferences application icon was doing on your Desktop.

Anyway, do you have one in your Applications Folder? If so, someone can direct you on what to do next. You may not need to "get it back" if it's not gone. Do you have one in your Dock?

You do not have a Recycle Bin on your Mac.

To Verify Permissions, you use Disk Utility. You'll find it in the Utilities Folder in your Applications Folder.

To Repair Permissions, you need to boot from your OS disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.