Please help this newbie with Apple's Mail app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by docprego, Aug 21, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Hi everyone,

I just got my first Mac, a 24" iMac-love it!

I am trying to use the apps that came with the computer but I am so used to Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird that I am having some difficulty.

Safari does not have the plugins that I like using so I am using Firefox though I really want to use Safari. I would like to use the Apple Mail app instead of Thunderbird if I can. I cannot figure out how to set mail up so that it functions similarly to Thunderbird. Specifically in Thunderbird I have 2 different mail accounts on seperate servers that I use. I can check each server individually or at the same time. Then I setup very specific folders under each server where I manually move my mail to. I cannot see how to do this in Apple Mail.

Help please, thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratuklations on the new Mac! We might need more information before going much further.

Which features do you miss in Safari that Firefox has?

Have you managed to get both accounts set up in Mail? Mail can handle multiple accounts, and subsequent folders... :)

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Do add accounts and set up your accounts that way. You can then go to add folder and it will put the folders on your local part, I'm not sure you can do it within the email account. I just set up a second account, one IMAP, and now GMail. Be careful though, it's downloading all my archived email from gmail. It's at 145 now, and I don't know how to stop it.

4. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I was able to set up 2 accounts and will be adding a third, that part is straightforward. What I want to do and can't figure out how to is to setup unique folders under each of these email accounts. For example account A only needs inbox, sent, trash (does trash exist even in mail?), and a folder to store messages I do not want to delete. Account B needs folders like address confirmed, address not confirmed and many more. Account C is my trial .Mac account and I am not sure if I even need it as I have a primary email address for the last 10 years that has not changed. Setting this up in Thunderbird is very easy, I just right click on the desired account and select "New Folder". This folder then appears beneath the email account I desired.

I would much rather use Apple's apps but if I can't set it up like this I might have to resort to Thunderbird

As far as Safari goes it is missing a lot of features that I have become very accustomed to:

1-Double click to open or close a tab
    2-Search select search engines with right click, not just Google and Yahoo
    3-Turn plain text links into hyperlinks with right click
    4-New tab button on toobar
    5-No favicons on bookmarks toolbar or in bookmark folders
    6-Open home page when opening a new tab

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You should be able to stop any download, or even any activity, via the Activity Viewer which is available in the Window menu. Click on the red icon to stop something.

I can't help you so much with Safari although some people recommend Saft as a popular add-on to give Safari more features...

However, you should be able to add a new folder or mailbox using the plus symbol at the bottom left of Mail. It'll then ask you where you want it created. :)

6. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I got a little further tonight but I am still facing the same issue. When I add a folder it does not add underneath the mail server I want. It adds it all the way at the bottom and is not attached to any specific mail account.

Thanks

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If your accounts are POP, then you can't add folders on the account server so any folder you add is local, i.e. on your mac, and is not tied to any one account. If you have an IMAP account (like .mac) you can create a folder on the mail server that is tied to that particular account.

8. sahnert macrumors 6502

If you are dealing with local folders and POP accounts you can use mail Rules to route messages from specific accounts to specific folders. That way you can "attach" them to any specific account or combination of accounts if you like.

9. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Both of my accounts are POP accounts. In Thunderbird you can create any folders you want underneath any account. I guess it is more complex in Apple mail. Frankly the only reason I am trying to stick with Apple Mail at this point is to preserve the Spotlight functionality it offers.

10. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Actually, what you're talking about doing in Thunderbird is merely a cosmetic thing, and nothing else. :) You could actually do that in earlier versions of mail.app (at least on 10.2 Jaguar), but it really doesn't matter. Even though the folders look as if they are created underneath an account, they don't really have anything at all to do with that account. Even in Thunderbird.