Please help this poor college student [iphone wont even turn on]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itouchaddicted, Jun 9, 2013.

1. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

I got a stylish and perfectly good looking black iphone 3gs, 16 gig from my friend. Everything worked like new but the only problem was that when I plugged the usb cable in to charge, it displayed "this accessory is not supported" message. But I discovered that even though it displayed this message, it was charging in the background and I saw the battery percentage go up.

With my fresh mind ofcourse I was irritated by this message and decided to change the battery dock connector. I bought the dock connector for $4 from Ebay and after I changed it, the iphone wont even turn on :( It just shows a charging symbol when I plug it in via usb cable but never turn on

Any help is appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

3. 617aircav Suspended

If you messed up the first fix, what makes you think you can actually fix this item? You may want to find a repair place.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sounds like you either got a bad replacement connector, or you didn't install it right. I don't mean to be rude, but what on earth do you think anyone here can tell you? We can't see the work you did, only you can. Maybe take it back apart, check for loose connections, if none, replace the old connector? Seems like the logical step to me...

5. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Does the screen stay on the charging screen all the time or do you have to push the power-button to get it to turn on? A new battery should fix the problem.:D

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Did u try a different cord before u bought a replacement.... Just wondering

7. itouchaddicted thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I tried with my different usb cables, wall charger, car charger etc

----------

It goes dead if not plugged in so have to plug it in to see what you see in pic.
    someone told me that i might have broken a connector to the motherboard. Hate my life sometimes haha

8. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it just makes sense to just leave well enough alone.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You should take it to some place that can fix it.

10. itouchaddicted thread starter macrumors regular

Success!!
    I opened it up again for the fourth time and figured that I was doing something wrong. The screw plate of dock connector assembly goes over the screw plate of the iphone. Did this and iphone still didn't turn on, let it sit there for 30 minutes and it powered up automatically!!
    WOHOOOO Happiest moment eva!!:confused:

11. abz1981 macrumors 65816

That's great. Am happy you managed to get it sorted yourself now enjoy it