Please help, trackpad and mouse not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdegroot, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sdegroot, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

sdegroot macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook pro 10.6.8 bought in late 2007 that the trackpad and external mouse has quit working for. I can move the mouse around but can not click on anything. I've tried restarting normal and in safe mode and still can't get anywhere. Im thinking its a preference change due to a recent update but i cant get anywhere to try anything.

Just discovered I have a swollen battery - yay
    I find it odd the external mouse didnt work either

2. kimchikid macrumors newbie

Same thing.

Hello. I'm VERY interested in your post, since I just began having the same problem with my MacBook Pro 17-inch. Clicking the trackpad does nothing, even though you can move the cursor around. What surprised me is that it does the same thing with an external mouse.

I'm early in the diagnostics, but I'll let you know if I find out anything. Curious that you would have the same problem, at about the same time.

Please let me know if you get anywhere.

3. rtk macrumors newbie

Mouse click will not work with trackpad or external mouseHi there

Hi there

I am experiencing exactly the same thing! My OS is the most recent and it has now happened several times to me... The mouse click suddenly stops working. There's nothing I can do about it. I have tried connecting an external mouse, restarting the system, just waiting for OSX to have a think about it... :) nothing helped!

If anyone knows how to get the mouse to "click" again, please let me know!

Many thanks
    Richard

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I think if you turn the computer off and hold command option shift plus power for two seconds let go then press power it should reset your mouse and trackpad for you without messing up settings