Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stacy~75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I’m trying to figure out how to transfer my digital video from my Sony camcorder to my Mac. I was told by Mac to upgrade to QuickTime pro and go from there. I have done this and still have no idea what I’m doing. When I plug in my camera Iphotos starts and Imovie does not recognize. QuickTime tells me that it cannot parse it. I’m just so confused.
Can someone help an armature please? :eek:
Thanks

Stacy~75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
the DCR-SR100 30gb handycam .
I just don't get it. a few weeks ago i brought my camera into the mac store and it worked there.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That camera (and any consumer camera that shoots to a HDD, miniDVD, or memory stick) shoots in a format that isn't supported by iMovie. If you do a search of the Digital Video area looking for things like "MPEG2" or "HDD camera" you'll find other threads discussing how to transcode the footage into a codec that you can work with on a Mac.

Lethal

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I just don't get it. a few weeks ago i brought my camera into the mac store and it worked there.

Why not pop in there with your configuration and ask them what you should do to get ik working... If you bougt everything over there they should give you some basic explanation.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee

Step 1: Transfer the recorded files from the camera's drive to a hard drive on your Mac.

Step 2. Use a program like MPEG Streamclip to demux and/or convert the files into an editable format that iMovie will accept.

Step 3: Import the converted files into iMovie.

- OR -

Return the camera and exchange it for one that records to tape so you can capture normally.

-DH

Stacy~75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Why not pop in there with your configuration and ask them what you should do to get ik working... If you bougt everything over there they should give you some basic explanation.

this is my next step. i was hoping to figure it out on my own with a new baby at home. what a pain.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

So you camera records to MPEG-2 format. This is what DVDs use. It is not the format to record in if you plan to do much editing but you can convert it to DV format and then import that to iMovie. Just get the files into the mac and then use something like Handbrake o do the conversion.

Stacy~75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Thank You

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm starting to figure out what i need to do to make this work. We all start somewhere, right?

Thanks Again,
Stacy

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
At present, the only camera formats that work well on a Mac are standard-definition 'miniDV' cameras, and high-definition 'HDV' cameras. Both record to tape. Avoid camcorders that record to mini DVD, or that record to hard drive (standard or high definition,) because they have formats that the Mac doesn't presently support.

I am hoping that iLife '07 will add support for the new 'AVCHD' high-definition format, which would add high-definition DVD and hard drive camcorders to the 'works' list. But I'm going to wait until then to buy a new camcorder, just to be safe.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
copy it to your hard drive and then use the free MPEG Streamclip utility (google for it), and then you can do File/Export to DV... and it will convert it to a DV file that you can drop into iMovie or FCE/FCP.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Make sure has Firewire Out

Some cameras, though record to hard drive or DVD, have a firewireoutput that converts it to DV and streams it out the firewire port. There maybe a setting in your camera that makes this happen if you have the port.

My Sony DVD camcorder doesn't have a firewire, only USB. But, I have a nice Pioneer DVD recorder that not only has input on the firewire port for recording, but firewire DV output when playing an unencrypted DVD. That goes right into the Mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.