Please help transfering my old hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by emneild, Oct 22, 2011.

1. emneild macrumors newbie

Dear all,

My 2004 iMac PowerPc G5 has finally died. I have taken the back off and taken out the parts I think I could pass on to others users (they will appear on eBay shortly starting at £1).

I have also extracted my old hard disk to try to save my old data (not a major concern as I have a TimeCapsule, but I can't remember when it did its last update, so am a little worried...).

I have bought a docking station for SATA drives (http://winstars.manufacturer.global.../2.5-inch-hard/1031398976/Docking-Station.htm). When I slot in my drive and turn on the docking station the drives spins into action. Unfortunately it is not appearing on my wife's Macbook Pro Desktop. I have looked in Disk Utility and can't see it there either. I have tried all combinations of power on/off versus laptop being on/off etc. Nothing is working!

Any ideas very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mark

2. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Does the Powermac G5 work when you put a different hard drive in?

3. emneild thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear MacintoshMaster,

Thank you for your interest in my issue. When I did the hardware test it came up with a Video Ram error. When I searche online it the error code would suggest that the old iMac would need a new midplane. The hardware test 'passed' all other elements (including memory).

So in answer to your point I don't have another SATA disk and have not tried the computer with a new one. Starting to be concerned that I have made a mistake by not doing so!!!

Many thanks,

Mark

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

When you go into System Profiler and look under usb to you see your docking station listed there?

5. emneild thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Max¥¥,

Thanks for your interest. In answer to your question I do not see the hard disk hub in System Profiler.

Many thanks,

Mark

6. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

I suspect the docking station is dud then, return it and get another one and you should be fine

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

have you another HDD to hand that does definitely with no doubt of any kind perfectly work , then put it in the dock and see if that mounts , if it doesn't its the docking station(apparently some dont work with the intel Mac's ) , if it does its your harddrive ,

1 reason why i got rid of my intel iMac to fuzzy about what i did connect to it , it did not want to recognize the docking station i use since years with my PPC Mac's

8. emneild thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear all,

Many thanks for your help. I have discovered that the issue was with the cradle. I took it back and the new one worked perfectly.

Best wishes,

Mark