Please Help! (trust MacBook Pro seller?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz786, Jun 17, 2008.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

so this guy is selling a new macbook pro, used for two hr he claims 17", specs will be listed below for $1000 and he is shipping it from the united kingdom to me in Canada. he has sad that he will do a COD (collection on delivery) and give me a 3 days grace period to see if i like it or not. do i trust this guy????

P.S Ill post pics once i get home in the evening

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know $1000 sound great, but I wouldn't do it; simply because he might send you a dud and then claim you broke it.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds perfectly legitimate to me. Who wouldn't take a hot selling laptop for under $1,000 that's worth more than twice that? Especially since the buyer can't even sell it on his side of the Atlantic. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW, great thread title.

5. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i never went thru with the transaction
    thought i would save my money and building a desktop lol

6. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

No

This is the exact same post that someone made about a week ago. Its fake, and the "holding company" was a fake website setup with a short term lease. Do a search for about the same title you made and you will probably find it.

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

NO, don't do it. i see these all the time when i inquire computers on craigslist. the third party is phony and its too good to be true. actually now when i get a email response with something like this, i usually send back a hateful letter about me wishing death upon them and their families for being the dirty scum of the earth.

8. kalimba macrumors regular

Hold on a second. This sounds way too good to be true! Why would I NOT want to take advantage of that deal!!!

/sarc

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Once you hand the money for the COD over, it is gone -- there is no grace period even if you got a brick in the box.

At that point all you can do is cancel the check, money order, bank draft, etc.

Though if you do that, he can act quickly and file against you for mail fraud also.

If I was running a scam, what is one more crime on top of everything else if it makes the victims go away and not file against you.

---

Always much better to swap the cash, and look at the computer within the city.

You may pay more, but if the seller is real -- they may even be willing to give you a copy of the original receipt.

It is those sales missing the OEM stuff in the box that makes one wonder, especially when it is a smoking deal.

At that point you should know it likely might be stolen and you may lose everything if an officer comes to the door asking for the equipment.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sounds like a craigslist scam.

There's no reason on earth to be selling a computer on your local craigslist when the seller is in a different country -- other than a scam.

See MR Guides : Buying Online - Is This Company Legit?

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

lol, that exactly what I was gonna say. word for word.

12. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Usually, if you have to ask other people whether to throw that much money down on a product that your not so sure will work out, it's probably not a good idea to go ahead and trust the seller..
    That's just how I look at that kind of stuff though.