Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciaronm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Hi,

Iv just had a new MBP delivered, its come through a company that provides machines for dyslexic students (myself) Its a replacement for my previous mac that i owned, suffice to say the other got destroyed.

The company for some unknown reason put 2 partitions on the hard drive, its really annoying as i need to use the migrate assistant to put my old system on it and the 2 partitions are to small to accommodate it.

My question...

1. Is it possible to combine these 2 partitions and if so how would I go about doing this from within the disk utility?

2. Is it also possible to transfer my partition over which held my boot camp partition from my previous machine?

Anyway many thanks in advance,
Ciaron

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
In answer to 1., I don't believe you can combine them. You might, however, be able to delete one and then expand the other one, it depends on how it was partitioned. If in Disk Utility, it appears as two separate partitions, and you cannot shrink one and expand the other, then you need to reformat it and reinstall the OS.

In answer to 2., It is unlikely that you could transfer bootcamp, especially as Microsoft would likely have some licensing issues, but I don't know if it is technically possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.